Just bought a Seafarer 228 - Had some engine quesitions

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Seafarer (88) comes with a 92 Johnson 200HP engine (The original was stolen) The engine runs fine but I have not had the compression tested or anything yet. I have a few reliability concerns with the engine since I am taking it offshore (Within 10 miles). Due to its age and an engine budget of around $4-5k should I invest money into getting this rebuilt? Maybe a new powerhead and lower? or just find a newer used motor (That I still may not feel comfortable with) and I would have to replace controls at an additional cost.. I don't have 4 stroke money so I am fine with 2 stroke gas mileage.

The boat Hull has 700 hours and would assume the engine has about 600. I am not 100% sure the hour meter is working or not.

Let me know your thoughts when I get the boat home and cleaned up I will post up some pics!

Thank for reading.

Ryan

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
From what your post says the motor runs fine. I would ask around and find a reliable mechanic to take a look at the motor. Have the compression checked, a new impeller and all the fluids changed. You will know if you have a good motor. If my mechanic said yes to taking our motor offshore I wouldn't bat an eye. I put peace of mind money into ours every year.

suzukidave

Reaction score
congrats on the boat

that's a good durable motor. if it runs fine and has correct compression no need to rebuild or replace it. it's a low compression motor so 80-110 compression result is normal. important thing is that all 6 are in the same ball park.

get a full mechanical checkup on the boat including engines, controls, gauges and fuel and oil lines. do not volunteer to spend money when you bring it in, and tell him you plan to keep the motor and just want what needs doing. do not talk about replacing or rebuilding it. no reason to tempt the mechanic to steer you elsewhere.

where i would spend money is in replacing the fuel and oil lines and fittings if they are original, and a basic tune up of spark plugs, lead wires, the inline fuel filter, and a new oil/water separator filter canister. for anything else, if it's not broke i'd say do not fix it.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
I bought a 1999 248 Voyager last may. It had the original Yamaha XO 66 250 2 stroke. That being said I ran on a few inshore family trips and put probably 10-15 hours on in the first few months. As any boat I had to build a little confidence in the motor but after the inshore trips with the family and the Bar /restaurant hopping out of Southport NC, all is good. I would highly suggest you get Tow US or Sea Tow. This is just a little extra confidence I keep just in case for a $160 a year well worth it. As mentioned above do some of the small service items and run her until you have a reason to go deeper.

Good luck..........

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I am buying a new fuel cell, and replacing all the wires and hoses that I possibly can as well as bilge pumps, batteries, gauges and switches. I will also look at the control cables as well.

I will get the compression check as soon as possible once it gets to my house.

Socalinsd

Reaction score
As mentioned already the Johnson 200 90 degree looper is a very reliable motor. I have a 1993 OMC Johnson 200 on my 208 adventure. This is my first boat and I am finding it pretty easy to work on the motor. I rebuilt all the carbs, new fuel lines and filters, water pump, plugs, wires, grease points, lower unit gear oil. The usual maintenance stuff. Don't forget to replace the annodes and make sure the magnets under the flywheel are secure. I also replaced all 6 of the check valves which are pressed into the block and requires you to remove the carbs and intake. 4 out of 6 of mine were shot. While your in there you can inspect the reed valve boxes. Don't forget new gaskets for everything.

For peace of mind I am installing a new Vro, since mine is already way overdue for a rebuild. I picked up a Seloc manual and it has been very helpful.

gw204

Reaction score
If the compression checks out, spend some money on preventive maintenance. Then...and this is VERY IMPORTANT... get a sea anchor and a subscription to a towing service.