Just curious, MPG (or GPM) on a Marlin w/ twin Yamaha 300s?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I thought I was done with my 228 but I went out on a 27 foot GW and wow, the ride was better. There is a 2016 Marlin for sale, curious as to what the gas burn rate is in good conditions on plane and in slop on plane.

Fishtales

Reaction score
1.2mpg is probably a good ballpark. To be honest, I don't even track or worry about it. Gas bills means I'm using the boat. Some things to consider...
- Dockage is likely required. Can you get it?
- Trailering isn't like a small boat. The Marlin is big out of the water, special permit required due to 10'7" beam. Loaded I'd say 12K lbs. Going to need the right trailer and truck.
- Twin outboards (2X the cost of a single screw).
- Lots of holes to winterize and more wrap required.
- Just about everything costs more with a larger boat. Don't want to end up boat poor....

you passed the test!

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hey Fishtales,

Tow vehicle is a chevy duramax dually, I've towed my 12K excavator on a 4K trailer with it just fine. I'm well aware of the issues with towing that much weight, so that part should be fine as long as the trailer has good brakes.

You're right about gas bills, I've put a little under $2K in my boat in a year so lets say it is double that, so what? Mouse nuts in the grand scheme of things.

What is this winter of which you speak? I'm in California :cool:

A slip is the biggest issue, I don't think I can get one. It has one in Half Moon Bay but that's not close to me. Jens had to wait 15 years for his slip so it's probably not meant to be.

Still, a fun thing to consider.

Reactions: Alweidner

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Fishtales,

Tow vehicle is a chevy duramax dually, I've towed my 12K excavator on a 4K trailer with it just fine. I'm well aware of the issues with towing that much weight, so that part should be fine as long as the trailer has good brakes.

You're right about gas bills, I've put a little under $2K in my boat in a year so lets say it is double that, so what? Mouse nuts in the grand scheme of things.

What is this winter of which you speak? I'm in California :cool:

A slip is the biggest issue, I don't think I can get one. It has one in Half Moon Bay but that's not close to me. Jens had to wait 15 years for his slip so it's probably not meant to be.

Still, a fun thing to consider.
My 228 is coming tomorrow. I bought the biggest boat I can fit in the slip I've had over 26 years. Yesterday I was looking at the brochures for the bigger ones. It would be nice to be able to take trips on the boat and sleep out etc. Maybe someday...

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Reactions: Kizuna

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
on my 280 marlin with 1998 250 ox66, the best i can trim out at is 30mph burning 21.5-22 gal/hr. that is ideal conditions. for completeness add in 1/2 gallon oil per hour as well

seasick

Reaction score
For close to WOT, that sounds about righ for gas and oil consumption t. Your numbers work out to about 1.4 GPH. Not too bad for that hull and motor.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
i think you are refering to me, thats at 3800-3900 rpm and you mean 1.4 mpg right. if i could get 1.4 gph i might go everywhere by boat!

Family Tradition

Reaction score
Haven't been able to log on in a long time but I've been following along. I have an 05 Marlin with F250s and with bottom paint that needs to be re-done or removed I can get as good as 1.3 at wot .9. I keep mine on the trailer year round because I can't afford slip fees. If you're comfortable towing this type of a load I certainly wouldn't let slip availability dictate the decision. I tow mine with a 05 2500 duramax and haven't had any issues but I'm in Florida so all flat lands, no big climbs or downgrade. Good luck in your search .

Fishtales

Reaction score
Told you all I don't track fuel. Just keep em full and burn it up!

Reactions: Pat Hurley

teaklejr

Reaction score
Haven't been able to log on in a long time but I've been following along. I have an 05 Marlin with F250s and with bottom paint that needs to be re-done or removed I can get as good as 1.3 at wot .9. I keep mine on the trailer year round because I can't afford slip fees. If you're comfortable towing this type of a load I certainly wouldn't let slip availability dictate the decision. I tow mine with a 05 2500 duramax and haven't had any issues but I'm in Florida so all flat lands, no big climbs or downgrade. Good luck in your search .
Damn thats impressive if you truly get 1.3 mpg at wot. You must get a few mpg at cruise speed then. We have a 2007 305 Express twin Yamaha 's 250's and only get 1-1.2 mpg at wot she is really sucking down the gas.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Family Tradition

Reaction score
Damn thats impressive if you truly get 1.3 mpg at wot. You must get a few mpg at cruise speed then. We have a 2007 305 Express twin Yamaha 's 250's and only get 1-1.2 mpg at wot she is really sucking down the gas.
.9 at wot. 1.3 is best I see at cruise.

Reactions: teaklejr

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Since all the conversation is about cruise economy and there is no mention of actual speed or rpm data. I will give you mine. For comparison my 305(stock props and bottom painted) with f300s which is slightly heavier then the marlin gets the following economy. Fast cruise is 4700-4900 rpm which yields 30 knts(35mph) and gets right around 1.1mpg. My slow cruise is around 4200-4400 rpm which will get me about 26 knots(30mph) and about 1.3mpg. This is an overall average with a moderate load. As conditions and load will vary a little. Fully weighted down with fuel, ice, gears and 4-5 guys, the economy will obviously drop a little bit. As far a WOT goes, I don't even look at economy. The engines will top out at around 5800-5900 rpms depending on load which will net me around 40knts. She is not the most economical boat to run but is a beast and will run 30 knots easily through most conditions that we fish in.

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
In a Marlin 30 with F250s we just made 167 mile trip (dock to dock) and burned 140 gallons. The seas were 2-3' coming at us about 45 degrees off the bow. Average speed was about 26mph running 4200-4400 rpms. So, we averaged about 1.2 mpg, if I am doing my math right.

eppem

Reaction score
I moved up from a 265 Express with F225s to a 2013 Marlin we found on dry dock with a blown F350 that we repowered with F300s. Just creeping up to 100 very happy hours! The boat is a tank!! Very comfortable, and gets us where we want to go. She runs thirsty, offshore in the North Atlantic we push around at about 1.0 mpg, that is fully loaded with 300 gallons of fuel. It will improve a tad as fuel burns off but burned fuel and melted ice is replaced with fish. In the much calmer Long Island Sound, we can see upwards to 1.4 mpg, but that depends on tide and wind. Overall LOVE the boat and set up! We laugh that we didn't buy a boat to erase our carbon footprints. She cruises just as well as she fishes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
226 to 272 is a big step. went from 282 to 300 and thought the ride went from small boat to small yacht feel.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
From what I can surmise from reading the different threads on this topic the 250's are adequate enough to get the job done albeit a little more thirsty. The 350's would be my choice if buying new, I like the extra power. The tenths of a mile per gallon are miniscule in the grand scheme of considerations for this model although it's nice to have the extra ponies and better fuel economy to go with it. 350 Suzuki's with duo props would hum along very nicely

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Subscribing to this thread.

Love my 232 Gulfstream for Lake Superior. Already thinking I may need to bump it up to a 300 Marlin. Mostly for salmon fishing; but want to do some weekends with the family of 6 (North Channel; island hopping/camping). I will need a new truck though....