just had a great idea

whitey

Reaction score
i was talking about this with a friend of mine.
how about we start a club in the southern jersey shore area.what we can do is fish on each member's boat.we all "chip in" for the cost of the trip.with the price of fuel at $3.00 per gallon,it makes sense.
i have my boat docked in avalon nj,i move it to cape may for striper season.
anybody else interested in this ?

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
whitey said:
how about we start a club in the southern jersey shore area.what we can do is fish on each member's boat.we all "chip in" for the cost of the trip.with the price of fuel at $3.00 per gallon,it makes sense.

This gets discussed on many boards and the safest way to avoid being considered "for hire" is to rotate boats with the crew picking up lunch, drinks and bait. Anything formal where you are paying to go out on a boat could result in issues with the CG. I know there have been several discussions on THT and on Tidalfish.

Seahunter

Reaction score
SEC. 506. PASSENGER FOR HIRE.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (21) and (22) a new paragraph (21a) to read as follows:

"(21a) 'passenger for hire' means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel."

DESCRIPTION - The determination of what constitutes the carriage of a "passenger for hire" must be made on a case by case basis. This determination is dependent upon the actual operation of a vessel and the flow of consideration as determined by the facts of each case. In general, there needs to be some form of tangible consideration or promise of performance being passed for a "passenger for hire" situation to exist.

SEC. 507. CONSIDERATION. Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (5) and (6) a new paragraph (5a) to read as follows: "(5a) 'consideration' means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.". Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes is not included as exchange of consideration

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
whitey said:

$3/gallon! I paid $4.15 at my marina last week and was told it is going up again this week! So y'all come down and fish with me ...

Rob

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$3 :lol: Can I fill up at your marina? I was paying $3.45 all of last season, I'm sure it's closer to $4 this season, probably will start around $3.75 and will probably get over $4 by midsummer. Nobody rides for free anymore, if everyone chips in $20, it makes a huge difference. We calculated how much friends chipped in versus how much the overall cost was, it makes a big difference, and last year not everyone chipped in so if everyone does it will be even better. If anyone has a problem chipping in $20 to cover gas and bait, let them fish a charter of party boat, that will be worse, $55 for party and $125 for charters at a min, plus tips just to fish inshore. If they don't chip in, run to the end of your marina's inlet and stop and say lines in...I can't afford to run any further with gas prices, just to bust their balls... :lol:

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
$3 :lol: Can I fill up at your marina? I was paying $3.45 all of last season, I'm sure it's closer to $4 this season, probably will start around $3.75 and will probably get over $4 by midsummer. Nobody rides for free anymore, if everyone chips in $20, it makes a huge difference. We calculated how much friends chipped in versus how much the overall cost was, it makes a big difference, and last year not everyone chipped in so if everyone does it will be even better. If anyone has a problem chipping in $20 to cover gas and bait, let them fish a charter of party boat, that will be worse, $55 for party and $125 for charters at a min, plus tips just to fish inshore. If they don't chip in, run to the end of your marina's inlet and stop and say lines in...I can't afford to run any further with gas prices, just to bust their balls... :lol:

You got it!

whitey

Reaction score
i checked with my insurance company,and i made a few calls to the coast guard concerning this.the replies i got were. if you're not making a profit,it's ok to split the cost of fuel with the crew.
i thought this would be a good idea,it would allow members in southern nj to get together throughout the season.it's good for everyone,you can see how each other's boats handle,compared to your own.we could easily make this work.i run my boat tuna fishing mostly,witht he cost of fuel being at an all time high,those trips are going to be pretty expensive.i usually burn 150-160g per day,that's $600.split between a crew of 4,that's not bad for a day offshore.
what does everyone say,want to make a list of names and numbers to contact concerning this?
i'm docked up in avalon nj,i'm behind the house untill november,then i move the boat to cape may till christmas.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
whitey said:
i checked with my insurance company,and i made a few calls to the coast guard concerning this.the replies i got were. if you're not making a profit,it's ok to split the cost of fuel with the crew.

Not trying to pee on your corn flakes, and fully understand what you are trying to do.

There is a little more to it than "not making a profit".

1. Payment can not be a condition for carriage. You can accept voluntary payments at the end of the voyage, and not reinvite someone who doesn't volunteer, but if payment is a pre-condition than you are "for hire".

2. The costs that are split can only include those associated with that day's trip, e.g. fuel, 2-stroke oil, fuel additives, bait, ice. Can not include apportioned fixed costs, such as prorated hourly maintenance on engines, cost of a 4-stroke oil change, etc.

3. The Captain/owner must pay an equal share, not simply divide the cost by the number of "guests". If the Capt/owner doesn't pay an equal share, then he/she just got paid for the trip.

Those don't even get into the real insurance issues, or the local business license, or the difference in HMS regulations....

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600-Tons,
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited.
Radar Observer