Just purchased used Marlin

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just picked up a real nice 2007 Marlin with low hours. Genset and thruster Etc.
Going to fish til January then winterize.
Question is will I need to remove that section of deck to winterize genset and other systems etc. ? I don’t see any other way ?

Many thanks

gradyguy04

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just picked up a real nice 2007 Marlin with low hours. Genset and thruster Etc.
Going to fish til January then winterize.
Question is will I need to remove that section of deck to winterize genset and other systems etc. ? I don’t see any other way ?

Many thanks
i do, it makes winterizing 100x easier, just buy color match Grady silicone from local dealer...usually get 2 seasons from one tube.and make sure you seal it other wise bilge will get wet

Dennis K

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nope. If you are pulling it out of the water Search for a product called” Fake-a- Lake. looks like a toilet plunger with a hose connection. I have used it for years to do the AC, Generator, Raw Water and Live well. It will suck the antifreeze right out of a 5 gallon bucket. If you do pull the floor GE Silicone II in Almond matches perfectly. Get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I only pull the floor to do major work on the Gen.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nope. If you are pulling it out of the water Search for a product called” Fake-a- Lake. looks like a toilet plunger with a hose connection. I have used it for years to do the AC, Generator, Raw Water and Live well. It will suck the antifreeze right out of a 5 gallon bucket. If you do pull the floor GE Silicone II in Almond matches perfectly. Get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I only pull the floor to do major work on the Gen.
Thank you ... I will look into that

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Could you share more details on maintaining winterizing the fisher panda generator on a GW Marlin? Can you flush it with fresh water after use? Do the same to pull in antifreeze? do you defog a diesel engine to winterize it? Owner says it runs but does not show hours on breaker panel so looking for tips and what to check over.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I live in Fla, so no winterizing..can't help there, but I can flush my Fischer-Panda with fresh water and I do after each use.

I unscrew the cap that leads to accessing the sea strainer. I pull the sea strainer cylindrical basket out and put a hose down that tube. (I keep the seacock closed, and I'm on a lift.) I turn the water on full, start up the unit, make sure it has cooling water flow out the side exhaust and let her run for 20 minutes or so.

Keep in mind, I'm on a lift, so I can pull the bilge drain plug and let the overflow water run out while the generator runs. If your in the water, your bilge pump will need to be operational, otherwise, you'll accumulate a significant amount of overflow water in the bilge during your flushing process.

DISCLAIMER:

I've never flushed the generator while the boats in the water. If you open the seacock after you have removed the threaded cap above the sea strainer, seawater will flow into your bilge like a Fountain. I would ASSUME you:

1.) Close the seacock.
2.) Remove the threaded cap.
3.) Pull sea strainer basket; Insert hose, turn on.
4.) Start Unit, check for cooling water discharge immediately.

Since I've never flushed a generator in the water, double check what I've written above with a knowledgeable person that knows for sure.

Also, my Marlin and Fischer-Panda Generator are 2018 models. I don't know if the procedure would be different for your older model. Again, check with real guys who know. This is what I do; it may or may not work in your case.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
1.) Close the seacock.
2.) Remove the threaded cap.
3.) Pull sea strainer basket; Insert hose, turn on.
4.) Start Unit, check for cooling water discharge immediately.
Do the above, then
Then pour 2 gallons of antifreeze into the strainer which will get sucked through the genny.

I leave the impeller in for the winter and just change it along with doing the oil change in the spring.
This can be done with the boat in the water or on land.

Last edited:
Reactions: magicalbill

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Do the above, then
Then pour 2 gallons of antifreeze into the strainer which will get sucked through the genny.

I leave the impeller in for the winter and just change it along with doing the oil change in the spring.
This can be done with the boat in the water or on land.
Going to do just that in the water this weekend along with fresh water systems and AC unit. We’re going to fish for another 3-4 weeks but want to get that out of the way in case of a sudden temperature dump. Putting on new enclosure and electronics also. Currently have Raymarine Hybrid touch 12” & 9”which will be coming off.

Jened1840

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Going to do just that in the water this weekend along with fresh water systems and AC unit. We’re going to fish for another 3-4 weeks but want to get that out of the way in case of a sudden temperature dump. Putting on new enclosure and electronics also. Currently have Raymarine Hybrid touch 12” & 9”which will be coming off.
I just purchased same Grady this year, same year same options. I just pulled and winterized. I purchased the fake-a-lake worked great for genset. I did pull the floor as it made changing oil much easier in gen. Also once I ran genset to operating temp, I then pulled the intake house from the strainer, placed in bucket of antifreeze and restarted genset to run the antifreeze to. Diesel you do not need to fog. The a/c I did as per manufacturer specs get a handheld pump and back flush antifreeze through the AC outlet until in comes through the open seacock. Do t forget to open all seacocks and drain the strainers