Just Sayin......

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just sayin.....I absolutely love my '82 Offshore. Boat is 41 years old and sound....I use my head but I trust her. I have it fitted out the way I like it.....rod holders everywhere....hard top....full enclosure....porta potty for the Admiral....swing back cooler seat installed....radar...trim tabs.....installed a pump for a removable 30 gal livewell tank...buuuut....I have 2 thru-hull fittings that Grady put crappy hoses on that are broke and I will have to cut holes in the boat to replace them. I have no problem with the hoses failing after all these years but there should be access. That is a real drag.....they could have done better there.
Whining over....thank you.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was a little bit frustrated yesterday replacing the batteries on my 228 Seafarer to where you have to pull the batteries out sideways left to right as opposed to going front to back, and you have to pull out the outermost battery first in order to get the inside battery out. I work as a firefighter and do 24 hour shifts, so I got off work yesterday morning at 0700, bought a couple of replacement Group 24 batteries at Interstate, took them up to my cabin, rowed the dinghy out, replaced them, then brought the boat in for the season, pressure washed her down and put her up for the winter. Definitely a long day, my mind was wandering as well as a bit drained at the same time. Trying to do the battery swap while down on your hands and knees, trying to reach into the battery compartment area made for a few choice words to be said. Had they made the compartment even just slightly bigger, you could've pulled out either battery at either time instead of having to do one first in a specific order. I think the best practice is always to change batteries at the same time so that you don't have an issue, but it would definitely be annoying if you had to replace the inner battery only but had to pull out the outer battery, disconnect everything on both, etc. It's ok, let it all out brother...

Last edited:

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was a little bit frustrated yesterday replacing the batteries on my 228 Seafarer to where you have to pull the batteries out sideways left to right as opposed to going front to back, and you have to pull out the outermost battery first in order to get the inside battery out. I work as a firefighter and do 24 hour shifts, so I got off work yesterday morning at 0700, bought a couple of replacement Group 24 batteries at Interstate, took them up to my cabin, rowed the dinghy out, replaced them, then brought the boat in for the season, pressure washed her down and put her up for the winter. Definitely a long day, my mind was wandering as well as a bit drained at the same time. Trying to do the battery swap while down on your hands and knees, trying to reach into the battery compartment area made for a few choice words to be said. Had they made the compartment even just slightly bigger, you could've pulled out either battery at either time instead of having to do one first in a specific order. I think the best practice is always to change batteries at the same time so that you don't have an issue, but it would definitely be annoying if you had to replace the inner battery only but had to pull out the outer battery, disconnect everything on both, etc. It's ok, let it all out brother...
I know your pain.

benny13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was able to squeeze group 31 batteries in mine, went with full river at the recommendation of my buddy who owns an off grid power company. Sells thousands of batteries a year. They were a pain to get in but once I do my repower to 4 stroke I can get rid of my oil reservoir and will have plenty of room.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was thinking about doing that but just decided to leave everything the way that it currently is. Maybe over the wintertime I'll separate them out, but after working a 24 hour shift and installing the batteries while on a mooring buoy, I didn't want to make any changes during that time.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can totally relate. Moved one battery from starboard to port to join its twin (31M-AGM) in order to balance the kicker. To remove them I have to remove the outside one to access the inside one. Also to make room had to put the trim tab pump high on the inside of the transom and relocate the fuel filter into the fresh water hatch (storage). Have an onboard automatic battery charger which I leave plugged in while she rest in her heated kennel. No she is not a dog but a pristine thoroughbred water spirit who shares her kennel with two 4 wheel pals.