Keel Hitting Trailer Axle

Desperado

Reaction score
The keel of my 272 is hitting the axle of my trailer while loading. The main and forward bunks fit the hull well, but I use some fairly steep ramps on occasion. Any ideas on how to prevent this? Thanks!!

gerrys

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the trailer?

You might try a low profile roller to protect the axle until the boat is safely on the bunks.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 252. As noted, you can bring the forward bunks in a little and it will raise the hull slightly.

The other option and one that I went with is just to add a pad on the axle. Since it only rubs when loading, and not when trailering, a pad was more than adequate to take care of the very low speed and gentle bumping by the sharp entry on the bow on the axle.

I just found a nice large pad that fit, and used 5200 adhesive to attach to the axle.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Install a 10-12in wide low profile roller or bump pad for the keel to ride on. My dual alxe trailer had them installed OEM.

Check out: http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm ... goryID=201

4849.jpg

dduflo

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Islander on a Loadrite trailer. The keel was hitting a crossmember. Peeled the jelcoat off down to the fiberglass. Cost me almost $900 to have it fixed like new. I added 2 12" rollers and the problem was fixed.
When I called Loadrite they were very nice and sent me 4 rollers with brackets for a reasonable price. I have two left over so PM me if interested. I bought the boat and trailer from a local dealer and, unfortunatly they changed hands shortly afterwards. New owner didn't want to hear anything about my problems. Needless to say I'll never do business there again!!

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
I am having the same problems with my 305 Express. I'm bringing the boat back to the dealer this week, Magic-Tilt will readjust the trailer and fix the gelcoat on the keel where it has been knocked off, all under warranty by my dealer and Magic-Tilt. I'm hoping it goes as smoothly as I'd like......only time will tell!!

Brad1

Reaction score
I have never seen a keel hit an axle. A crossmember, yes, but not an axle. It's a trailer setup issue, or your not backing the trailer down the ramp far enough (or a combination of both of these).

Post some pics and maybe we can get a better idea as to what the cause might be.

Desperado

Reaction score
I ended upadding another set of bunks to act as guides before it raises up on the main ones. Once up on the trailer the boat does nor rest on this second set. I will take pictures when I can to better demonstrate how I did it. I thought about the roller, but I had issues with them breaking/wearing out on my last boat and trailer.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I know this thread is ancient but the same thing happened to me today to my brand new to me Grady 275 . @Desperado can you share pics of how you solved this?

seasick

Reaction score
I have never seen a keel hit an axle. A crossmember, yes, but not an axle. It's a trailer setup issue, or your not backing the trailer down the ramp far enough (or a combination of both of these).

Post some pics and maybe we can get a better idea as to what the cause might be.
More likely the keel is hitting a cross member, not necessarily an axle.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Had the same issue with my 265 and smacked the forward cross member hard a couple times, boat sits well on the bunks once loaded but the entry is so sharp it was making contact before the bunks started picking it up. Tried a roller and bent the crap out of it the very first time, something with a different style of mounting would probably have worked but the only thing I could find was a vertical plate and it just couldn't take the weight. Ended up doing what sounds similar to Desperado and added an inner set of bunks. Pressure treated 4x6 wrapped in marine carpet, have recently added the new glides from surfixinc.com and will test them out this weekend. Had to cut down the brackets so they'd sit low enough but that was easy enough and I've not made contact since. Once loaded they are not in contact with the hull at all.

002DB61D-1C52-444E-89D0-2B000E202FDD.jpgF9DACAB5-DD92-4805-9C9D-F7B44F255AE5.jpgA757EED7-4E9C-4748-BBDC-1CB84A70BD62.jpg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have had same issues with my older Road King trailer and even with my new one that is heavier duty. The keel is so deep, it will hit the rear axle before the boat starts to hit the bunks. Can't move the bunks in or they will not be under the stringers.
Solution was just to get some keel pads and I fashioned up some Stainless Steel Braided Fishing wire, same used for wahoo fishing and crimped them on, wrapping around the axle and added some 4200 on the top to help hold them on.
This solution has worked on both trailers and no more gelcoat repairs.
I disagree this is a trailer setup issue. There is nothing that can be done to fix this other than it needs a pad for this type of hull design. What is beyond me is why the trailer manuf. does not include the pads on the axles, same as on the cross members.
Of course the ramp you use will make a difference in the approach angle, but in my case, I only use the one ramp and have to deal with it.
The pad is the solution.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Fowl Hooked- saw you at the ramp in VB today then went by the Fishing Center and snapped a bunch of pics of your trailer. Then I come on here and see your post! I am having the same issue and gonna try that solution, looked sweet. Good Luck fishing!
Greg

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Fowl Hooked- saw you at the ramp in VB today then went by the Fishing Center and snapped a bunch of pics of your trailer. Then I come on here and see your post! I am having the same issue and gonna try that solution, looked sweet. Good Luck fishing!
Greg
Thanks, was good chatting with you. I tore that guide on the bow support when loading the boat prior to coming down here, gotta do a temp repair to get back home and then I’m going to put the same SurFix slicks on that I’ve got on the other bunks. -Brett