Keel Scrape

slatedog

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tournament 223. The boat stays on the lift all year unless it's in for service or repairs. Any time I return to the pier from being out it is run right on the lift and raised. It gets very little dock time.

I was down in the water doing some pier repairs with the boat above me in the lift and noticed a scrape on the most forward point of the keel below the water line. It is scraped about 1 inch, maybe slightly more, and I can see the fabric which does not seem damaged. There are a couple of other marks but just minor. I have no idea where all this came from or when it was done. I have not noticed any additional bilge volumes.

I am hating the thought of hauling her out during the spring rockfish season here in VA. The question is - could I put off that repair and if so, how long without any worries? :?:

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
I had the same problem a while back, the guys here refered me to spectrumcolor.com, and get the patch kit. This stuff is awesome and you can actually get the exact color that will match your gel coat.......I did the repair myself with no previous experience at all. The stuff works great and the instructions included made the job very easy to do.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If your boat is on the lift and you can access the area you can sipmly repair as slatedog has suggested using the spectrumcolor repair kit which you can also get from GW dealer. Very simply repair . Clean area. You may want to tape around scratch. Kit will have gelcoat and hardener mix togther and with small putty knife fill scratch. Let it dry and harden then sand by hand using wet sandpaper then wax and you would never know you had a scatch. if this is below water line and is deep enough to see fiberglass I would make this simply repair before using boat agian.