Keelguard Colors to Match Hull? Size for 180?

NHAngler

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a Megaware keel guard to my Grady White 180. Size and color suggestions? I hear almond is a near match? I don't want black and think white would stand out just us much due to Gradys being more off-white in tone. Thanks for you help.

NHAngler

Reaction score
OK maybe not a popular mod so maybe a better question is if this will affect of the resale after putting one of these one my hull? I know that I bought this boat because there was no bottom paint and any that had it were off of my list. A keelguard is not permanent but a lot of work to remove and doubt that the original shiny finish would ever come back without a lot of work.

I will likely upgrade to a bigger boat in the coming years so resale matters more to me than the modification. I don't beach a lot and am very careful with loading on/off the trailer. However, I just dumped another $700 into the trailer for this year so not likely going to be this year.

Thoughts?

controlsct

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I would wonder what your hiding under the keelguard if I was buying it. Just my thoughts. If there is nothing wrong with it and you don't beach very often then why bother?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would wonder what your hiding under the keelguard if I was buying it. Just my thoughts. If there is nothing wrong with it and you don't beach very often then why bother?

I do not think anyone that I know, no offense, goes, "they patched it together with a keelguard".. heh

I have toyed with the idea of a guard because they do exactly that, they guard it from scratches etc. I have had one on every other boat I owned due to rocky shorelines etc. Nothing worse than catching a wave while trying to trailer and scratching the hull....etc

I am not sure about a color match though, sorry.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well hell yea! If it has a coffee maker, they will never SEE the keel guard...

You, sir, are brilliant!

Willy-C

Reaction score
Mine was originally installed by a previous owner, I had to replace it because i slammed the trailer when I first bought the boat, the keelguard took all the hit but eventually peeled back from water pressure under the loose front end. And to my surprise the previous owner did cover up some damage (from maybe slamming the trailer.....ooops).

Keelguard normally comes with a lifetime warranty to the original owner, but after calling the factory they offered me a new replacement for half price ($80). They recommended the plain white but I insisted on the almond.

You’re welcome to come check out my keelguard in person.

NHAngler

Reaction score
Thanks. I did order one the other day but it is on backorder.

No damage but I am very careful with my boat and get picked on by other boating buddies regarding how clean and scratch free my boat is. Keekguard is just me furthering that I guess.

I had a hambys on my last bass boat and was great. I used to literally drive right up on concrete ramps. Obviously was not doing this as my first option but rocks on the left and right of a ramp with no dock, I was glad to have it. Was like 500 installed and that was 19 years ago and the only real serious solution.