Keep 228 or move up to 282??

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My biggest drawback from proceeding with the 282 was the solo launch and retrieving the majority of the time. I can handle my 228 no problem. I was seeing the 282 to be a handful. I'm sure I could master it in time, but.......

Towing wasn't really a big factor in it, although Florida would be a 1700 mile round trip, South Carolina is a 1000 mile round trip and Lake Erie is 700 mile round trip. Being landlocked in Kentucky does have its drawbacks. Towing the 228 is very simple and straightforward without the need for permits. I've towed all over the east coast from Maine to Florida, gooseneck and bumper pull. I used to buy and sell boats when I first retired, so I've pulled many different sizes of boats, so the 282 was no big deal.

Bigger heartache was thinking about selling my 228 that I had put all my time and energy in to, to bring her back into a great, trustworthy, condition. I am a proud 228 owner. Great, do it all boat for me at this time in my life. Can go and do whatever I like with it as long as I pick my days if I venture offshore.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this, maybe if I ever make the move South, I'll upgrade. Time will tell.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
+ 1 on added trailering stress. I own 3 trailers and have a lot of experience but I also recognized the added stress of trailer and parking bigger / heavier loads, not to mentioning launching. It just adds to the stress which I'm trying to avoid by owning a boat. Maybe you have the room to park but recovering will not be fun.

KY you sound just like me. Upgrading and improving is half of the fun of boating. As soon as I perfected my Pro-line I sold it immediately. Why? There's no good reason other than it was done and I wanted a new exciting project to improve, perfect and play with. That will cost LOTS on the 282! I think you're feeling that now that your 228 is dialed in.

Reactions: Ky Grady