Keep the Aux fuel tank????

SieraSky

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got a 1989 228g Seafarer w/twin tanks. I do alot of fishing on Long Island Sound in Ct. could use more fresh water , range with main tank is no problem. Thinking of pulling Aux. fuel tank and replacing with a 25gal water tank and pump. Do you guys think it hurts value of boat without extra tank???? Being a mechanic labor is DIY. Also has anyone used an aftermarket bow pulpit like the ones on E-Bay??

seasick

Reaction score
It would be a negative for me.
A lot depends on how long you plan to keep it. At some price point, the water tank will not be that much of an issue.
At the same time, It is going to ba a lot of work to retrofit the tank, pull the un needed fuel plumbing, tank filler and vent plumbing. If you are going to do it, you have to remove all traces of a second tank.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think it would be a negative for resale if you were to remove a fuel tank and limit the range of the boat. It would also be alot of work to gain just 25 gal of water.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I like the fresh water idea........I had the same thought, but don't have the aux tank at all, was just contemplating adding a fresh water tank.

Barbender

Reaction score
That is what is on my boat. The single tank with a larger fresh water tank for washdown etc. Works awesome and I still have a lot of range.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This wouldn't work on my Seafarer. I typically use at least 75 gallons of fuel on an offshore trip and like the ease of mind that the additional tank gives.

What are you doing that you need the additional 25 gallons of water for? I know my 10 gallon tank goes a long way for my activities.

SieraSky

Reaction score
Aux tank

Thanks for the input guys, it's just an idea I contenplated with the boat sitting in the backyard for the winter. I don't want to screw up the appearance or the value of the boat either. The dual tank has the wider cutout for the fuel fills, if I put the water fill next to it I think the apperance looks bogus or as we say "shadetree mechanics". I think I'll find a spot for a 5-6gal tank somewhere, easier solution. Besides anybody on the aftermarket pulpit??? Thanks guys

bigk23surf

Reaction score
I wouldn't want the extra tank. I have the 92 gallon tank and run 30 miles out, troll for 8 hours and 30 miles back and burn half a tank. Why would I want the extra weight and tank? I'm actually thinking about moving the larger tank forward to where the small one is this winter. I think its more of how you use the boat and what motor you have on it. The four strokes sip fuel.

SieraSky

Reaction score
Aux Tank

I really don't need the range of going offshore since I only fish LI Sound, 90gals is plenty of fuel for my 225 Evinrude. Some of your guys boats have the Aux. tank forward of the main tank. Mine is plumbed with the main tank foward and the aux. towards the stern, there is a little room between the tanks to put a small water tank but I think I'll manage to find a place in the cockpit for it. Thanks for the feedback to all.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Put the FW tank in, keep your old tank, and when you plan to boat convert back by reinstalling the gas tank.
No brainer.
Don't even have to mention you had FW before.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't believe my boat came with the aux tank, but the previous owner did move the 92-gal. tank forward and added a 25-gallon fw tank at the stern end. Like most Grady owners, we use our boat for several purposes; there's plenty of fuel for long offshore runs and plenty of water for hosing down fish guts or showering swimmers.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What is the extra fresh water being used for?The only time im using fresh water is to wash my hands before eating, and its used by the vacu-flush head. All other cleaning is done by the saltwater washdown(especially fish)
till I get to the dock where she gets a good soaking with dock water and soap.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Seahunter

Reaction score
bigk23surf said:
I wouldn't want the extra tank. I have the 92 gallon tank and run 30 miles out, troll for 8 hours and 30 miles back and burn half a tank. Why would I want the extra weight and tank? I'm actually thinking about moving the larger tank forward to where the small one is this winter. I think its more of how you use the boat and what motor you have on it. The four strokes sip fuel.

If I fish a 2-3 day tournament I fill up both tanks and don't have to worry about buying high priced fuel on the water or putting the boat back on the trailer to go buy gas. As you said, it's all about how you use the boat.

muddyPropwash

Reaction score
I just have the main tank and the empty space for the auxillary tank in the forward location. I fish the south shore of Long Island and rarely use more than 35 gallons in a trip. I've actually been thinking about putting in a flush deck hatch and using the space for storing fenders, extra line, etc. Anybody ever tried that?

wilson

Reaction score
200 gallons of gas is 200 gallons of gas. 2-100s , or 4-50's it doesn't matter. when it was time for new tanks i opted for one big one. cut the allready rotted bulkhead out between them and measured twice. never understood the two tank theory anyway. no valves and hoses to fuss with underway. and i use most of the gas anyway offshore so it makes it easier just to fill up when done, not checking which tank was filled last worrying about alcohol and water. you could find out the size of your 25 water and make up the difference on a bigger main (new-thicker and painted) and have the best of both worlds. good luck!