Keeping cubby door open?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
My 228 has two compartments above the helm under the hard top. I've mounted a screen in one of them and I'd like the door to stay open when I'm using it. The stiff hinge works when the boat isn't moving but when I'm pounding over waves, it shuts itself and I can't see the screen.

I'm pondering how to keep it open, I thought of velcro straps but that doesn't work well. So my current thought is to get some rare earth magnets and glue one to the hard top and one to the inside of the door. Perhaps with some padding, like a chair leg pad (those ones that prevent scratching of floors) on the magnet on the hard top.

Has anyone else addressed and solved this problem and what worked?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The 330 comes standard with clear plastic “ strataglas” straps that connect via twist lock fasteners to the overhead and stow the same way to the hatch when not in use. You can also change the hinges to higher tension ones as well. I have the standard hinge tension, but I had to get new ones as mine became too floppy a few years back.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have heavy gauge plastic straps on both my doors. Looked to see if I had a pic of them but I don't seem to have one. Same setup as Bill.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Fishtales

Reaction score
Same with the straps. I'd check out some boats with electronic boxes to see them.
You could call Lee at A&J Canvas in Vanceboro NC. They make the enclosures that have a like strap. They can provide the strap and hardware if you are nice to them!

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Isinglass straps, the same as others. Works fine.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I use a rubber door stop between the door and fiberglass on the lower electronics compartment of my 232. Might work for upper electronics compartment.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have heavy gauge plastic straps on both my doors. Looked to see if I had a pic of them but I don't seem to have one. Same setup as Bill.
I had the same on my 228, and I have the same on my 282. The straps with the twist locks. Works great.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 2004 Gulfstream has the similar eisenglass strap and twist lock fastener. Works great. On my previous boat I used springs that if 'bent' would allow opening/closing door, but if in straight position, would usually keep it open.

Last edited:

Scot Smith

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I cut a stick to hold it
Not a pretty solution

Reactions: efx

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 282 has the heavy clear straps with the twist locks for both e-boxes and the cabin door. My old 268 had SS for the cabin door

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Wish I had taken a pic today, but they’re like any other strap used to hold up a rolled up isinglass panel. You’ve all seen them.
These are just attached to the inside of the console door, and the twisty is attached to the ceiling of the hardtop to the side of the door, so the strap reaches it when the door is up.

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Spring door attach

Something like this is on my 97 Gulfstream. Works great and no fussing around to set it up. Just open and it expands and it's locked. To close its just a tap on the spring. It was stayed open in rough seas, allowing me to get pummeled by sunglasses binoculars and other shit I store in the overhead. Honestly stop reading anymore comments and just go buy one of these.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the spring in my overhead radio box door and it never fails either. Quick and simple. That is why I was wanting to see the vinyl straps as I though all the radio box doors on the Grady's had these springs.
I did have the heavy clear vinyl strap with snap on my cabin door that held it open in a folded position but over time, it got pretty nasty. I made a nylon strap with snap out of some heavy flat nylon strapping I had laying around and it works perfectly.

moklodge

Reaction score
I'd say to mount a strap/loop bracket on the door and one on the roof and then simply use a velcro strap.