Keeping up with the KYs...

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If in key largo I HIGHLY recommend Capt.Kerry from Tails up. Do a Everglades trip with him. He is super Knowledgable, been doing it a long time, and a really nice guy. My son and I spent 3 days straight with him on his skiff and enjoyed every minute of his company not just his service. We had a real good time fishing with him and we were happy just catching fish that he considered trash fish(small sharks species on light spinning gear was a blast) and jokingly said he would not tell people what we had him chase after. Memories for a life time. Check him out.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
by the way I am jealous of your boats shine. my first one all we had to do was maintain the shine. this one not so much, all though I did bring a bit of shine out on it we are thinking a paint job.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After all the burn through's from the detail guy, I was considering paint. Luckily I have a great fiberglass repair shop that I use and they salvaged my boat with blended in gel coat. All in all, after everything that my boat went through, I'm extremely happy with the outcome. The shine, new stripes and badging really brought her back to life. She shows well now for a 2004. The icing will be the new F250.

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
And that's not even funny,,,,,,, who knows though,,, Grady-White did away with the 228,,,
Interesting - more and more streamlining of the boating industry.
Big moment for me was when Evinrude was discontinued - staple of the industry for many years.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
And that's not even funny,,,,,,, who knows though,,, Grady-White did away with the 228,,,
Ha ha ha.....just wanted to put one more bit to keep you awake this week. Maybe thinking about that will keep you mind off the fact that there is a big bait shortage in the keys. There may not be any ballyhoo after this Wednesday.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Guess they'll blame bait shortage on Covid too,,,, everything else gets blamed on Covid. I'll bring some Ky Ballyhoo with me,,,, we'll be fine.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know Hitch,,,, you were/are invited to come down. Hook that new boat up and come on. Smoky gets in Friday, I'll be in Saturday.

Greyduk

Reaction score
Ya'll are having too much fun with this. Biden has just issued an executive order against this.

Seriously though, I am having fun just hearing about it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
:D Just jerking your chain Ky. Serves you right for going without me.

I am curious though, what is Ky Ballyhoo? Hotdogs?
It's a secret bait that hasn't been thought of yet,,, I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ya'll are having too much fun with this. Biden has just issued an executive order against this.

Seriously though, I am having fun just hearing about it.
That's part of the fun,,, planning the trip. SmokyMtnGrady and I have been talking about it for awhile. We had reservations then he got his same week, so the meet was on. Halfhitch knew we were coming but couldn't get things to work for him to meet up with us. My first time down,,, Smoky is the old salt fishing and snorkeling the Keys, he's offered to be guide for a day or two,,,, happy to have the experience. I doubt this will be my last trip down. Thinking a week is going to be too short.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks guys . I have met some really great people through this forum. I look forward to getting some getting nice pics of our boats together. I hope we bring home some dolphin and tuna. KY is a good guy. it should be fun. He is staying down on Marathon and I am up in Key Largo. We are going to rendezvous a couple times and fish the Islamorada humps . I am getting stoked.

Donald Martin, welcome aboard, I was born and raised in Florida and have many Keys adventures . I am staying with friends on Key Largo . I have ridden my bike from Pennekamp to Ocean Club. I am going to the Keys again in August. I do a father son fishing trip every spring and then do a family trip in the summer. This a bonus year for me. I look forward to towing with the new trailer .

Magic, I wish you were still in south Florida. It would be great to meet up.
Yeah, I was just wishing the same; I'll be back down in 2 weeks to get the boat shipped up to Michigan.

I would've cruised down there otherwise, and met you both in Islamorada. Have a Fab week!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My boat is an 08 that I bought new in 09. She has been in service now for 12 years. Twice a year I wax it with Colinites 870 cleaner wax or 925 fleet wax. I have used either finesse it II by 3m or Maguires oxidation remover on the top side gel coat for the past several seasons. It is stored under a boat shed and when I keep it in a slip the slip is covered. I would like to think the shine is part good quality by Grady and in part my sweat put into it every season. I am thinking it's easier to keep it up than to let it go and then try to restore it. That's why it is why it is. lol.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
last time we went was with my buddies brand new wellcraft 23 cc w/twins. stayed at MM 126.5, house on the ocean. My wife was pregnant with our second, things were really beginning to get real. The next season I sold my first Grady to RESPONSIBLY raise my family(wish I could have afforded both). Now I really want to bring my son down with our boat, we may not go back home. :)
Hooked on Grady,
my first Grady was a 192. I bought it used. I have 3 kids and my middle son is severely disabled . His name is Kyle and he is 21. He is blind ,has cerebral palsy,is mentally retarded and has a mild form of epilepsy. He had meningitis when he was 24 days old and his brain bled out. He is an awesome young man. I love the outdoors and when he was an infant and toddler life was straight up hard and miserable for me. Kyle was aweful . I would take him kayaking and he cried the entire time. When he was 4 we were in the keys and I was at my wits end. Kyle was cranky. The wife was more so and I thought my life was over. Everything I loved. I couldn't do any longer . So, I rented a 22 foot Angler from Pennekamp and strapped Kyle in his life jacket and the tears and screams flowed. Wife was pissed we spent the money and I was damned if I was going to let this ruin my one and only trip to the reef. So we pushed off. My daughter was 6 and my other son was 2. We were going come hell or high water .I was at my wits end .

We start the boat and Kyle is sitting next to me on the leaning post bench seat. We idle out and he is fussing. The wife is glaring.We come around a tight bend in the channel and the sign says resume normal operation. I gently put the throttle down and the engine came to life. Kyle sat up straight. He stopped crying and a huge smile came across his face . My life and attitude changed that day. Kyle loved boating! He loved going fast and this was one activity my entire family could do as a family! Three months later I was a proud owner of a1998 Tournament 192 with a Johnson Ocean Pro 150! Boating for us has been a blessing worth every hard earned penny we have spent on it. I didn't have the biggest house,the newest TV or nicest car. None of that matters , I had a boat baby!

When my youngest turned 8,I started taking Cole on father son fishing trips to Florida. I wanted him to have time with just me and not having to share it with his special needs brother. I have a buddy and we are sympatico and run the boat together quite well he brings his son too.We split the costs of the trips. It's our thing. Boating has been an amazing part of my life and my kids have grown up doing it. They have learned a lot not just about the boat,but weather, respect for the sea in terms of conservation, fishing responsibly and so forth. Cole is a sophomore in college in Orlando and is majoring in biology and thinks he wants to do sea turtle stuff,maybe fisheries or who knows run a charter boat .

Get fishing with your son. it's never too late.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
:D Just jerking your chain Ky. Serves you right for going without me.

I am curious though, what is Ky Ballyhoo? Hotdogs?
Half Hitch, get your butt down to the Keys next week. lol.

So, I graduated from UCF and I love college football. UCFs first mascot was this thing called the Citronaut. It's goofy and cool. I am thinking of finally naming my boat , Citronaut. I have been friends with KY since he had a Trophy and was hanging here . Anyway, I thought it was odd that somebody would use personal sex lube as their screen name. But,hey what ever floats his boat. I thought it was short for KY Jelly. Duh,it's for Kentucky ! Anyway, I told him when I hail him on 68 or 69 I am going to call for KYJelly and he call for Citronaut. lol. all kind of silly I suppose but hey , it's boating .images (2).jpeg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hooked on Grady,
my first Grady was a 192. I bought it used. I have 3 kids and my middle son is severely disabled . His name is Kyle and he is 21. He is blind ,has cerebral palsy,is mentally retarded and has a mild form of epilepsy. He had meningitis when he was 24 days old and his brain bled out. He is an awesome young man. I love the outdoors and when he was an infant and toddler life was straight up hard and miserable for me. Kyle was aweful . I would take him kayaking and he cried the entire time. When he was 4 we were in the keys and I was at my wits end. Kyle was cranky. The wife was more so and I thought my life was over. Everything I loved. I couldn't do any longer . So, I rented a 22 foot Angler from Pennekamp and strapped Kyle in his life jacket and the tears and screams flowed. Wife was pissed we spent the money and I was damned if I was going to let this ruin my one and only trip to the reef. So we pushed off. My daughter was 6 and my other son was 2. We were going come hell or high water .I was at my wits end .

We start the boat and Kyle is sitting next to me on the leaning post bench seat. We idle out and he is fussing. The wife is glaring.We come around a tight bend in the channel and the sign says resume normal operation. I gently put the throttle down and the engine came to life. Kyle sat up straight. He stopped crying and a huge smile came across his face . My life and attitude changed that day. Kyle loved boating! He loved going fast and this was one activity my entire family could do as a family! Three months later I was a proud owner of a1998 Tournament 192 with a Johnson Ocean Pro 150! Boating for us has been a blessing worth every hard earned penny we have spent on it. I didn't have the biggest house,the newest TV or nicest car. None of that matters , I had a boat baby!

When my youngest turned 8,I started taking Cole on father son fishing trips to Florida. I wanted him to have time with just me and not having to share it with his special needs brother. I have a buddy and we are sympatico and run the boat together quite well he brings his son too.We split the costs of the trips. It's our thing. Boating has been an amazing part of my life and my kids have grown up doing it. They have learned a lot not just about the boat,but weather, respect for the sea in terms of conservation, fishing responsibly and so forth. Cole is a sophomore in college in Orlando and is majoring in biology and thinks he wants to do sea turtle stuff,maybe fisheries or who knows run a charter boat .

Get fishing with your son. it's never to late.
Smoke, That's the best story I've read for awhile. You've got broad shoulders my man. My hat is off. Hope to meet you one day.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That is a great story and the purpose of my trip this weekend, since my son is now 29 and has his own 2 year old son, it is hard to spend time together like the old says, so this weekend we get to spend a few days together on the boat chasing fish and having laughs. It won't be long and I will take my grandsons fishing.