Kicker Bracket for 1997 248 Voyager

Pete1313

Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of buying a "new to me" Grady - a 1997 248 voyager. Its pending survey, sea trial and engine inspection.

I'm in the Pac NW and need a trolling motor. The boat is rigged w/ a single 250 OX66 EFI. The voyager has the euro transom.

Another member here has a voyager with a special bracket that Grady made for the euro transom voyager...but i have learned that was discontinued when OMC went out of business, b/c OMC made it.

I'm looking to mount the kicker in/on or next to the motor well. I will have a power tilt 9.9 four stroke with controls. because of the euro transom, I think a Long shaft or extra long shaft will work in this application. I want to avoid a moving kicker bracket (boat will be trailered), so I'm looking for ideas on fixed mount off the transom or a way to mount it in the motor well.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Contacts? I'm ok with having something fabbed up, but I'd rather not have a local guy here re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Pete

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Stainless bracket purchased from Grady Dealer in Seattle - slips over Euro Transom and through bolted with two bolts through motor bracket and third bolt in center through only bracket and transome only.

The Bracket was built to fit over several models of Euro Transoms so it required a 3/8in spacer between the transom and the bracket ensure snug fit. I found 3/8in thick plastic cutting board cut to size.

Let me know if you need other pics.

Kick_Web.jpg

Kick_Web_2.jpg

Pete1313

Reaction score
Nice boat! Same year, model and motor as mine! Mine is not in as good a condition though....

I'll have mine here at home on March 12th. I got Danny at grady to send me the specs for the bracket and am having it fabbed up right now. Looks like I may need to use spacer as well then...oh well. I guess I shouda waited to have it fabbed, but I didn't want to wait...I need the boat ready this month.

Do you have the kicker steering tied to the main? If so, what did you use? I've seen numerous products....from a $350 teleflex one to a $40 universal one.....

Also - what prop/pitch do you have on your boat? I think mine is underpropped.....

Thanks!
Pete

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Pete1313 said:
Nice boat! Same year, model and motor as mine! Mine is not in as good a condition though....

I'll have mine here at home on March 12th. I got Danny at grady to send me the specs for the bracket and am having it fabbed up right now. Looks like I may need to use spacer as well then...oh well. I guess I shouda waited to have it fabbed, but I didn't want to wait...I need the boat ready this month.

Do you have the kicker steering tied to the main? If so, what did you use? I've seen numerous products....from a $350 teleflex one to a $40 universal one.....

Also - what prop/pitch do you have on your boat? I think mine is underpropped.....

Thanks!
Pete

Steering is tied to the big motor with inexpensive universal rod. Works great on all but the gusty days when steering and throttle are required to keep her tracking straight.

I will need to get back to you on the prop specs.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
The Prop is 15 1/4in x M-17

Pete1313

Reaction score
Thanks for checking. That is the size I think Yamaha/grady recommends on the boat. I may buy one.....

On your bracket - what did you do with the motorwell scupper that the bracket covered?

Pete

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I mounted the bracket so that it did not cover the motorwell scupper.

The pic shown about was snaped during the fitting stage.