kicker connect

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Morning to you all. I have a question I could use help with. I have a ss rod with swivel ends connecting my kicker to the main, which has to be removed after trolling as it only works well when both engines are down. Do not care for "Easy Steer". What are you guys using for connectors that can stay connected with motors up or down. My kicker is set on a fixed mount approx. one foot behind the transom and slightly above the main. So looking for a "leave on" connection that works with out removal. Checked out the Panther motor tie bracket, but it appears not to function well unless kicker and main are in parallel on the transom. With thanks, trapper

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just out of curiosity, why don't you like the EZ-Steer? I haven't personally used it, but it's been around so long and have I heard such good things about it that I always thought it was the "go to" item for this purpose?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dennis, found it to appear rather awkward hanging of both legs behind the outboards, If something was to go sideways with the unit, you would have to go for a swim to repair on the water. Looking for a connect accessible from the stern. My Yam 2013 F200 has a soft composite (plastic) covering the leg, so difficult to attach EZ steer to the leg. Also have to get between the two motors for the tie down strap without going to my knees to connect. Ok Ok, just looking for another way, have been checking out the Panther motor tie bracket, just not sure if it will work with the offset kicker. Yes I do have the ability to take a simple solution and complicate it. I must be blessed! Cheers and thanks, trapper

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, I gotcha. It looks like that Panther version attaches up by the steering pins? To your question (offset)... I dunno, either! :) But if it was me, I'd go right to the source and call them - probably find your answer out pretty quickly. Maybe have an email standing by to send with a picture of your setup, in case they wanted to see it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh... if you get the approximate specs (length/size/etc) of the pieces in the kit, you could do a quick mock-up with something like cardboard and a wooden dowel. To check your clearances, that is.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your quick responce!! Will look further into the Panther system. Halfhitch, never mind saving my allowance, I would have to sell my kicker to buy the "seastarsolution" Ouch but a very cool system.....maybe when I am older and have overcome some other expensive habits..... trapper