kicker engine for seafarer 226

stmry

Reaction score
I have a honda 5 hp. do you think it might be even minimally adequate for trolling/back-up power? steve

Amigo

Reaction score
Based on my experience with a 9.9 HP Merc Big Foot model on a 25 ft. Salifish I would expect marginal performance. It would likely push your boat about 6MPH at full throttle. I troll for salmon on Lake Michigan at about 2.5 MPH. with no problems. Top end for me would be 6 - 7 MPH.

Trolling with a 5 HP on a windy day will require you to troll with the wind. There is not a lot of push there for turns or going against the wind.

I would suggest that you give it a try if it is a 20 inch shaft motor. I would also suggest that you decress the prop pitch by at least two inches. Props availble with less pitch will likely be slightly larger in diameter. More RPMs and pushing more water with a larger diameter prop will give you more oomph.

The better adjustable motor mounts are made by Garelick. If you don't have one on the boat I would suggest the mount that has 14 inches of travel. I would also get the heavier rated model that would handle the weight of a 9.9 HP four stroke when/if you want to upgrade. I think my Merc 9.9 4 stroke weighs in at 110 - 120 lbs.

Osprey

Reaction score
kicker for seafarer 226

I fish a 226 on Lake Michigan,several times a week using a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke long shaft high thrust and it works fine in all but the bigger seas. Then I fire up the 200. A friend runs the Yam 8 four stroke troller and he's happy too. Tightlines :lol:

stmry

Reaction score
thanks, i think i will go with an 8 or 10 h.p,

leek

Reaction score
Kicker

I have a 9.9 on 08 Tournament 225. Max speed for me with it is 5.5 mph. I wouldn't go any smaller if you want to get home in a currant or wind situation.