Kicker Motor for Overnighter Gas or Electric ?

Got Bass Charters

Reaction score
I have an Overnighter with a bracket mounted 225hp. What size 4 stroke kicker motor would I need and what types of brackets are available.I am also open to the thought of using electric motors that either mount as trim tabs or on the captivation plate but I have no experience with this type. Thanks, just trying top make up my mind.

mike175

Reaction score
Howdy GBC,

I just dealt with this situation as well. Out here in the NW, just about every boat has a large main and a kicker bracket with a 8 to 15 HP kicker. This is for both bait presentation (trolling for salmon as well as motor mooching) and of course for emergency propulsion. I went with a 9.8 Tohatsu and a fixed bracket. I bought a new Garelick 4 stroke bracket but liked the fixed mount better for my boat (24 Offshore Pro). In salt water I don't think you can go wrong with a kicker motor...I don't think that an electric motor would have enough thrust to get you moving for any amount of time before you drained a battery. What ever you decide... good luck.

Here's my plug....I'm selling my Garelick bracket over in the want ad's :wink:

mike175.

Got Bass Charters

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Will there be any problem with mounting a 15hp kicker on the same side with me and the batteries?The other side has a swim step.How much kicker hp do I really need?