Kicker Motor Installation Which side is best?

bdubz06

Reaction score
Which side should the kicker motor be mounted on? I have heard that it should go on the port side or does it matter?

Thanks.

PA228G

Reaction score
For a RH prop the paddlewheel effect tends to pull the stern to stbd, so I think - not sure - that you'd want to mount a kicker with a RH prop to port. Unless you don't want to fuss with moving a swim platform, etc.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Other way around.

A single engine right hand prop (clockwise rotation) will LIFT the Starboard side when powered up. My T8 kicker is on the Starboard side of my Seafarer (boat rides level). Good luck...

Got Bass Charters

Reaction score
Is weight distribution much of a factor? On my Overnighter I"m thinking about putting it on the same side as the helm and the 2 batteries.Or mayby it would be better to move the swim ladder and put it on the other side.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Weight may be a factor. I removed the kicker from my 228 and had to install 100# of lead on the port side (side the kicker was) to keep my boat sitting even in the slip.

If your boat sits even in the slip w/o a kicker, relaize that you will be placing 95# on one side of your transom, and it will heel to the side slightly unless you get counter weight.

I believe the only logic is to install opposite the ladder. I've seen Gradys with kickers mounted on either side, so i don't know if there's a best side or not. If you have a ladder, probably doesnt make sense to move it, just b/c people say "mount on the port side".

uncljohn

Reaction score
And I wouldn't worry about what side gets 'lifted' by the prop torque. You can always use trim tabs to even out the boat when riding, but its more difficult and likely more important to have it sit evenly in the slip.