Kicker Motor--Peace of mind or a hassle?

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an 08 225. Someone near me with a 225 recently had a motor failure in the river on a 4 yr old Yamaha-admitedly very rare. I thought about what a pain that would be if out there with my family.

I thought about getting a 9.9 kicker simply for peace of mind to limp in if needed. Many say it is more hassle than it is worth and gets in the way. Thoughts?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would spend my moneyon TowBoat U.S. or Seatow if the only reason to have a kicker is for backup. I'm not even sure using it for trolling is worth the price. The transom sure looks better without that kicker hanging on in my opinion.

92explorer

Reaction score
More of a Hassle. I have a 25 Longshaft that I put on and take off the boat depending on the season. I only use it for trolling for Stripers. It is mounted on a Garelick Bracket and even up all the way, it is still in the water. If tilted, it will eventually tilt down (wish it could lock in the up position) when running causing a spray and wear and tear on the lower unit. While crabbing, lines often got tangled around it and would be a real hassle to get off. Good thing about it is it will get you home, not fast but home. If I ever decide to permanenly mount it, I'll change my controls to binnacles and run cables to it and connect it to the main for steering. Much easier to control the boat and I'll be out of the way for those with the rods

pilotart

Reaction score
If your only concern is backup for your 225; not worth while, spend the money for SeaTow and a little extra 'preventive' maintenance.

For my use, my old Honda BF100 'kicker' gets a lot of use, not just for 'trolling' but for all the low speed areas. My 2-Stroke Yahama is a great engine, but a gas hog at low speed.

Although I love the sound of a 2-Stroke at speed; I hate the sound of a 2-Stroke at idle and it would 'gunk' it up as well. I have never experienced any of the problems that '92explorer' referred to.

Without frequent use, I would never want to depend on a 'kicker' to work when needed anyway. With a smooth idling 4-Stroke Main Engine; I would never bother to have a 'kicker' or its weight.

GW

Reaction score
Viperdrum, let me know what you decided as I am very curious your choice. For my Gulfstream, I did the installation myself and was one of the toughest and time consuming projects I have undertaken in awhile. My first Garelick bent over time and had to upgrade to their most robust unit. I'll take photos if you need them on placement and measuring. I run about 20 miles offshore and choose not to depend on a Single. Your HP to weight seems correct if you decided to go with the 9.9, while some will argue this could be slightly under rated. It will also list the boat quite a bit and you'll have to counter the weight possibly with battery and stowage movement to the opposite side. I'd also suggest running a direct line into the fuel system so you are not restricted to the portable tank size.....plus you never have to worry about stale fuel in the portable tank. Let me know if you need more info. and we can swap phone numbers. Good Luck!

Bokat

Reaction score
Viperdrum,

I'm with Strikezone and others on the Seatow/Towboat US. I had a 1997 21' Aquasport and wanted a backup motor for those far offshore trips. I found a good deal and bought a used 15 hp Evinrude motor but I just couldn't bring myself to mount it after I thought about it for a while and had a chance to use the boat. I just couldn't, in my opinion, "gunk" up the transom with all the extra stuff. I have Towboat US now, even though I have twins on my current boat. I'd go with the towing service.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I removed the kicker from my 228. It would only push the boat in a straight line in dead-calm, which isn't very common during trophy season on the Chesapeake. Any cross-wind or waves would push the boat off-course.