Kicker motor

Bjleventry52

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 97 228 seafarer and was going to put a 9.9 kicker on back , and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on that being big enough . Mostly troll central basin.

TeK

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 9.9 high thrust, changed the prop to a lower pitch from a 9-3/4x6-1/2, to around 4 to get slower. So I would think it should work for you.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd honestly skip the 9.9 Yamaha and go with either a 9.9 Suzuki or Mercury as they've got EFI compared to being carbureted, and they're likely going to be a bit cheaper than the Yamaha as well. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd honestly skip the 9.9 Yamaha and go with either a 9.9 Suzuki or Mercury as they've got EFI compared to being carbureted, and they're likely going to be a bit cheaper than the Yamaha as well. Just my 2 cents, of course.
Have to agree with Mustang65fbk on this. I troll lower end of Erie around Kelly's Island/Port Clinton area. Had looked at the Yamaha 9.9 but switched focus to the Mercury because of this very thing, carbureted vs EFI. For me, EFI made sense for ease of operation and not having to deal with carbs.