Kicker motors

JLK225

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Do any of you guys have kicker engines just as a back up for going offshore? I have a 225 tournament and fish out of NC. I like the look of that Panther bracket, wondering if it would be possible to only add the kicker when going offshore, not permanently mounted, and would just use the tiller handle if I had to use the kicker. Obviously would bolt it to the bracket for those trips.

Is it possible to plumb some sort of quick connect fuel supply to the existing fuel lines?

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Do any of you guys have kicker engines just as a back up for going offshore? I have a 225 tournament and fish out of NC. I like the look of that Panther bracket, wondering if it would be possible to only add the kicker when going offshore, not permanently mounted, and would just use the tiller handle if I had to use the kicker. Obviously would bolt it to the bracket for those trips.

Is it possible to plumb some sort of quick connect fuel supply to the existing fuel lines?
I just bought one a 9.9 high thrust Yamaha. Gonna mount on a fixed bracket and use for trolling and as a back up. I don’t see why you couldn’t do that it’s 100 pounds easy to handle if you wanted to take on or off.

JLK225

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Found this guy's channel and this is what I think I may do --

Panther makes a swim platform mount that looks like it would work. I don't trailer and would really only want it for piece of mind on bluewater trips

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
HMBJack recommended this fixed bracket to me several years ago and it's been perfect for me. I had the Garelick adjustable bracket prior to this and was scared to death it would fail every time I towed the boat to the ramp. I don't think the T-8's are available from Yamaha anymore but the T9.9 should be just as good if not better.
are you able to tilt your kicker all the way out of the water without the engine hitting the transom?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
are you able to tilt your kicker all the way out of the water without the engine hitting the transom?
I’d not expect this to be a major problem for you. The reputable bracket builders know the typical dimensions of outboards, and the sizes don’t deviate that much brand to brand.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I’d not expect this to be a major problem for you. The reputable bracket builders know the typical dimensions of outboards, and the sizes don’t deviate that much brand to brand.
I jjsy bought a panther 35 that I had to send back because it didn’t have enough set back. Was curious since he has the same boat, kicker and mount I just ordered

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I exchanged the motor and got the 25" shaft and returned the Adventure Marine bracket and bought the custom one from Jacobsen Marine in Seattle. Rock solid and perfect height on my 228.
Did you use a backing plate on the inside of the transom ?

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks to everyone for the tips on adding a kicker on my adventure. This form is great. Finally got it done today! Next up troll master and EZ steer!

Attachments

• 10038D53-6049-4A23-8500-BC4FFEF3AB91.jpeg
    10038D53-6049-4A23-8500-BC4FFEF3AB91.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
  • 1EA2A0D3-2CCD-4449-9353-0563F4827CD7.jpeg
    1EA2A0D3-2CCD-4449-9353-0563F4827CD7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58

228g

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought a set of the large washers and bolts used to mount engines and that transom is much thicker than expected. 2.5" if i recall.
One word of advice is don't drill into the transom dead on horizontally. If you do the washers won't and the bolts won't sit right because the transom angles back.... Use the bracket as a template and angle the drill slightly upward.

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
BTW, I went with Suzuki for my kicker even though the main engine is Yamaha. Yeah, the colors don't match, shrug. I picked Suzuki because they are fuel injected and the Yamaha 9.9 is not.

Also, I believe Suzuki claims this is a high thrust motor, 4 blade prop. It won't move my 228 more than 6MPH. Maybe it would on a really flat ocean, I dunno, we never get those conditions. In slop, around 6mph WOT. I only mention this because someone was saying that their Yamaha T8 could move them at 7 or 8, my 2020 Suzuki 9.9 can't do that. Just a FYI.

I should add that I'm fine with it, I need it to get me to 2.5-3 for Salmon trolling and it works fine for that. If I have to troll faster than 6, the main engine has a troll mode that will get me down to 6mph.
Did you go with the remote controller at the helm? If so what is needed? I’m looking at a 20” suzuki EFI 9.9 with controls (non tiller).

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Did you go with the remote controller at the helm? If so what is needed? I’m looking at a 20” suzuki EFI 9.9 with controls (non tiller).
I did not, I got the tiller version. I have the hardware to connect it to the main so when you steer the main, you steer the kicker but I haven't hooked that up. My steering is manual, no pump, and it's a little tough to turn. So far, what I do is steer with the main engine when I'm on the kicker, that works until we have a stiff cross wind, then I need to steer with the kicker. I'd say over 95% of the time, the main engine is enough.

I did get a tiller extender, that has helped.

My plan going forward is to add auto pilot but the version that has 2 pumps, one for auto pilot and one for steering, then I'll link the two motors because (a) steering will be easy and (b) I'll have auto pilot on both.

Reactions: PointedRose