Kicker power cables - cut by unsuccessful thief

Long Haul

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hey Guys - Someone tried stealing my kicker and cut power cable and wiring harness before they realized the kicker is locked on the mount. Fortunately, they didn’t get it.

Question: I am thinking of using insulated butt connectors on the severed power cable and then using heat shrink tubing to reconnect vs buying new power cables. I am not an expert with electronics and don’t want to do a stupid bush fix that could bite me offshore.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Attachments

• 740A100A-4CB7-47AB-8271-5EC9771BDC47.jpeg
    740A100A-4CB7-47AB-8271-5EC9771BDC47.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 32

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can definitely do that if you stagger the butt connections, make sure it's done neatly and don't be afraid to use liquid and fabric electric tape when it's done.

Another thought would be to get a water tight terminal block or wire hub, sort of like the one they use when splicing transducer wires back together. It's water tight, stronger and should last longer.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Water is a weird thing. It tends to find it's way. If it were me, I would pony up with new cables . Not saying a good solder joint with liquid stuff,heat shrink and maybe tape won't keep it water proof, because for a year or two I think it will. On the other hand knowing you got new sealed cabling back there is sort of priceless or worry free at a minimum.

In 2017 I got a F250 4.2 liter motor with just 8 hours on it stolen off the back of my boat in my brother's driveway . Brand new motor gone in sixty seconds ,ok more like 600 seconds . I feel the pain brother . Glad they didn't take the motor or do any damage to the boat.

Reactions: Legend

Long Haul

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks fellas. Kinda what I figured. Not a long term fix but would buy me a some time.

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Marine shrink butt connectors have hot-melt sealant in them. They will last forever. Just clean everything really well with acetone as you go, stagger the connections, and it will outlast you.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Marine shrink butt connectors have hot-melt sealant in them. They will last forever. Just clean everything really well with acetone as you go, stagger the connections, and it will outlast you.

Yeah - I would get some Ancor brand adhesive lined heat shrink butt connectors AND their adhesive lined shrink tube. Get some proper ratcheting crimpers with the correct size dies. Crimp, heat shrink (use a real heat gun, not a butane lighter), and then cover again with the shrink tube and shrink that. (Don't forget to put the tube on the lines before you crimp the butt connectors and really far away from the heat!

If done properly, this should be a permanent fix.

I personally wouldn't bother staggering the connections... I also wouldn't solder anything. Good crimps form a gas-tight cold-weld and supposedly solder can cause problems by making the stranded wire stiff and more prone to break at the transition.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey Guys - Someone tried stealing my kicker and cut power cable and wiring harness before they realized the kicker is locked on the mount. Fortunately, they didn’t get it.

Question: I am thinking of using insulated butt connectors on the severed power cable and then using heat shrink tubing to reconnect vs buying new power cables. I am not an expert with electronics and don’t want to do a stupid bush fix that could bite me offshore.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I realize you are not a electronics tech. I am and would probably invest in adhesive lined heavy walled shrink tubing. Butt splice everything, solder and shrink. Some guys will knock soldering. If properly stiffened it won't be a problem.

Crimped butt splices have to be done perfectly with the right crimper. Most guys use the crimper they have not the one they need. If you use them skip the shrink tubing on the connector. Cover with shrink tubing. Double tubing is overkill and bulky. You should be able to save the battery cable.

In your case get a price for new cables. If they are in the budget go that way!

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is also liquid tape that can be applied over the shrink/tape. Works well if you ask me.