Kicker size for 228??

GulfSea

Reaction score
I know there have been many posts on the subject but like many things, there have been quite a few improvements over the past few years. Now that I'm over the 2' itis' and plan on keeping my 228 for many, many years to come, I wouldn't mind setting up a kicker for a number of reasons, one being a slow "but steady" ride home should the big motor ever quit. Among the technical installation issues (swim platform) what size kicker have you guys found to be sufficient to move a 228??

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a Grady 22' Seafarer with a high output Yamaha 9.9 kicker on it and found it worked well when I needed it (which was twice, but that is another story or two).

HMBJack

Reaction score
I used a long shaft Yamaha T8 on my 2005 228. Worked great - especially with the electric start and power tilt. Had a fixed bracket installed on the starboard side. Good luck

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We have an early 80's Honda 10hp long shaft 4s that pushes our 06 228 along adequately for emergency purposes. Have not had to use it other than testing on this boat, but had the same kicker on our old boat, a 23' 1981 Robalo walk around, similar weight to the 228. That kicker brought us home from ~30 miles offshore when the Mercruiser I/O crapped out while albacore trolling one day.

Vic H

Reaction score
I have a Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke on my Catalina 250 wing keel sailboat. It has the 25" shaft, a large diameter 4 bladed 5.5" pitch prop, an alternator, and electric start. At 92.6 lbs., it is by far the lightest 9.8 4-stroke available. I think it would make a fine kicker.

gradyforyou

Reaction score
I have a 91 228g. I had a 15hp mariner and it would push the boat well if you were going with the wind. Into the wind bimini down it was difficult to hold steady course or any real speed. I was steering with main engine though, cause I have enough crap on my boat without a steering connector for the kicker.