Kill Switch alarm malfunction

jw_dogfish74

Reaction score
I have a Seafarer 226, the kill switch alarm started sounding while the boat was running, it's my understanding that that's an indicator for low oil, we put more oil in it but the sound won't stop. A week later now, and I went down and it's still does it as soon as I turn on the ignition, constant alarm. Is there a trick to getting it to reset? Or is this an electrical problem or something else? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

jd

ctcbtr

Reaction score
you didnt say eng type,if its older 2 stroke did you top off 3gal tank under floor or 1qt tank under cowl? both have warning float switches if 1 qt tank under cowl is low its not transfering up from tank under deck. or one of two float switches could be stuck but unlikley that,my 91 200 also has to have a working trim sensor to transfer oil to upper tank also, good luck

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As already posted check the small tank inside the cowling. If that tank is low you may have a plugged-up oil filter or inoperative pump on the lower tank. This will cause you to have oil in the lower tank that doesn't get pumpped up to the engine tank giving you the alarm you mention. I lost a powerhead because of this same problem. In my case the alarm in the small engine tank was innoperative and I never got a warning. I blew the powerhead for lack of oil even though my lower tank was full. It turned out to be a clogged filter in the lower tank. A $4000 lesson I wish I had never gotten.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
.. or something else?

The audible alarm on engines usually sounds for multiple reasons. Check with your manufacturer about what indications you have (both sound and visual, if any) ... :uhm

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
Don't mistake the alarm you're hearing as a malfunction by all means it is an indication that something is wrong. As far as I know it is not an indication of low oil but an indication of overheat or high engine temp. Pull your thermostats and check for debris and replace both thermostats and gaskets. I had the same issue happen to me last season and new thermostats fixed the problem.