Kill Switch Works... for only one engine.

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok, so this one has me a little confused. Up until this weekend, the kill switch worked for both engines. Now, it only works for one. I.e., the port engine fires right up, when the kill switch is pulled, but the starboard one won't start (as expected). As far as I know, that is the original kill switch from when it was born in 1996 or repowered in 2005.

I have included pictures of the front and back, in case they help.

Any thoughts on how this is even possible?

IMG_5845.jpeg
IMG_5846.jpeg

I am one of those super-particular people, when it comes to flushing the engines. I pull the kill switch and crank them for one second (literally) while fresh water is running through them - Just to make sure that there is no salt water hiding in the water pump or elsewhere. So, I know the kill switch was working correctly until this weekend.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think it is the kill switch per se. I need to look at the wiring diagrams but I suspect it is a connection issue somewhere past the kill switch
Does the motor crank and not start or does it do nothing when you turn the ignition switch. If the later, does the tach for that motor operate correctly ( power up, self test and then read 0 revs?

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I don't think it is the kill switch per se. I need to look at the wiring diagrams but I suspect it is a connection issue somewhere past the kill switch
Does the motor crank and not start or does it do nothing when you turn the ignition switch. If the later, does the tach for that motor operate correctly ( power up, self test and then read 0 revs?
@seasick, I think the issue is with the kill switch. I have never had a single kill switch for two engines before, so I don't understand how they are wired. But, if the kill switch has been pulled (i.e., the tab is out), shouldn't both engines be disabled, not just one of them? The port engine is behaving as expected - the starter engages, but the engine doesn't start. The starboard one has the issue - the starter engages, and the engine starts. If I put the tab back in, both engines start.

seasick

Reaction score
Boy did I read the first post incorrectly! One engine starts regardless of whether the kill tab is in or not. Is that correct?
In that case there may be an ignition relay on the motor that starts regardless of the kill switch that is stuck on. I will see if I have the wiring diagram for that ignition / kill panel and see if I can get a clue.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Swap those two round connectors on the back of your switch, and see if the problem moves to the other engine. Not sure if your kill switch makes the connection, or breaks the connection, in order to kill the engine, but it sounds like it is stuck in which ever position lets the port engine run.
If it makes the connection in order to operate, you may just have some pin corrosion. Unplugging and plugging the connections a few times, or looking for corrosion there may solve the problem.

Last edited:

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Boy did I read the first post incorrectly! One engine starts regardless of whether the kill tab is in or not. Is that correct?
In that case there may be an ignition relay on the motor that starts regardless of the kill switch that is stuck on. I will see if I have the wiring diagram for that ignition / kill panel and see if I can get a clue.
Not a problem! I probably didn't explain it very well.
Yes, that is correct. And, it was working as expected (neither engine would start, if the kill switch tab was out) last week.

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Swap those two round connectors on the back of your switch, and see if the problem moves to the other engine. Not sure if your kill switch makes the connection, or breaks the connection, in order to kill the engine, but it sounds like it is stuck in which ever position lets the port engine run.
If it makes the connection in order to operate, you may just have some pin corrosion. Unplugging and plugging the connections a few times, or looking for corrosion there may solve the problem.
Very good suggestion. I'll try switching them tonight and will let you know what happens.