Kohler generator siphon break streaming into well?? SOLVED

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Purchased my 330 express October of 2008 and am Loving it. but I kept noticing water in the forward bilge even without any rain. I have been running the gas generator weekly for about an hour under a load while docked. Last week I opened the compartment to check on the gen since it starts hard and I thought the choke linkage may be sticking. Noticed a steady stream of water coming out of the siphon break, of course into the boat (can't be good). The exhaust port dumps water and does not seem blocked and I'm still black and blue from getting to the siphon break through the access door. The reed valve appears to be clear and in good shape. I'm getting ready for the Canyon bite and do not want any problems while overnighting. Does anybody know what to do or have a similar experience? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

gerrys

Reaction score
Check the reed valve for dirt or sticking.

You say the water is coming out of the siphon break - meaning out the reed valve? or elsewhere. If elsewhere, you have a loose or damaged hose, or perhaps a cracked break.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yes, checked the reed it is clear. The fluid is full streaming out of the reed during operation of the generator. I think I'll remove the connecting hose next to verify any blockage. Otherwise, don't really know what else to do it is a 2004 and came original with the boat.

gerrys

Reaction score
Moxsea said:
yes, checked the reed it is clear. The fluid is full streaming out of the reed during operation of the generator. I think I'll remove the connecting hose next to verify any blockage. Otherwise, don't really know what else to do it is a 2004 and came original with the boat.

If it's exiting the valve, it's got to be a bad valve or installed backwards (upside down). Even if the waterway is blocked downstream, the pressure should hold the valve closed.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
problem solved

Had the generator serviced by Charlie at NY Marine and Propulsion, from Staten Island. He replaced the siphon break, works perfect. Thanks for your help.