KY Grady!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's the Blackburn Point Swinger; I need an opening to get my Marlin under it...

I'm betting you've noticed that you no longer have 100' of water to work with anymore.

Trying to figure out where you are in the Pass; Looks like near the North shore off Lido?

In any case, looks like your having a good day!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's the Blackburn Point Swinger; I need an opening to get my Marlin under it...

I'm betting you've noticed that you no longer have 100' of water to work with anymore.

Trying to figure out where you are in the Pass; Looks like near the North shore off Lido?

In any case, looks like your having a good day!

Sitting off South end of Lido County Park. Tide going out was ripping. Need to find a more sheltered sandbar to just hang out and float. Had to work to stay with boat if we were floating.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The islands that I described to you earlier may be exposed at mid-low tide. If they are. you may be able to anchor in the flats to the East of them and get out of the tidal current somewhat, but it really flows fast thru there too.

Remember, they are off the marked channel paralleling the South shore of the Pass before you enter the Gulf. They'll be to your stbd as you head West.

Otherwise, the only other sandbar I know of in that area that's an easy anchor is the small party-island at Venice Inlet, just off the ICW. I don't advise it, however, it's usually full of loud partiers and louder boom boxes.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's all good. We're used to hanging out around 3 Rooker and Anclote Key off of Tarpon Springs and Anclote.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Short bridge in question. I made it under but did drop the antennas to do so, maybe a foot or so clearance. Tide was also going out so that helped, otherwise I'd have had to ask for an opening.
20200630_153506.jpg20200630_153528.jpg

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That is my neck of the woods. I owned my boat shop for 16 years in Cape Coral. My mom still lives there. So much to offer in this area.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That is my neck of the woods. I owned my boat shop for 16 years in Cape Coral. My mom still lives there. So much to offer in this area.

When we were there, we hit it at a bad time, water wise. Okeechobee was dumping the stained water into Caloosahatchee and ruined the water quality, looked like coffee. Then Red tide. We found some good water on the backside of Sanibel to hang out in, but shortly after we left it went downhill.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When we were there, we hit it at a bad time, water wise. Okeechobee was dumping the stained water into Caloosahatchee and ruined the water quality, looked like coffee. Then Red tide. We found some good water on the backside of Sanibel to hang out in, but shortly after we left it went downhill.
It has been a lot better this year so far. A lot of new rules about lawn fertilizing close to the river and different water release schedules for the lake have been helping. Blue green algae and red tide have been kept to a minimum.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It has been a lot better this year so far. A lot of new rules about lawn fertilizing close to the river and different water release schedules for the lake have been helping. Blue green algae and red tide have been kept to a minimum.

Good to hear.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
TnT motor gave up the ghost last night. Our boating is done while we're here. I'll fix when I get home. Probably going aftermarket for motor. Not going to pay $700 for OEM when I plan to repower, don't see that kind of investment in a 2004 motor. Get a couple of years out of aftermarket and good to go.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
TnT? Trim & Tilt?

Yikes..sorry. On vacation too...I'm no tech, but do you think this failure may be related to the hit you took off Conley Bottoms?

You didn't have too many more days anyway, did you?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
TnT? Trim & Tilt?

Yikes..sorry. On vacation too...I'm no tech, but do you think this failure may be related to the hit you took off Conley Bottoms?

You didn't have too many more days anyway, did you?

Yep, tilt and trim motor. Who knows on the hit. I'll go with old age and not the best care given to motor before I bought the boat. Rust showing around base at gasket area. Pushing 1300 hrs and probably original motor. Not that that is a good reason it died. It's a boat, nothing but a thing. Life goes on, I'll replace and keep on going. Lake Erie in September so I have a few months to fix it. But knowing me, I'll order new motor on Tuesday and have it done pretty quick. Already talked to dealer this morning so he's expecting my call first of the week.

Yeah, we roll out early Tuesday morning, be home that afternoon. It's actually been nice not trying to be on the boat everyday, more enjoyable vacation,,, enjoying the pool more this year. Siesta Key beach was so crowded today that the police shut the parking off. Only going to get worse over the weekend. Have beer, wine and pool,,,,life is good!!

Reactions: magicalbill

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
TnT motor gave up the ghost last night. Our boating is done while we're here. I'll fix when I get home. Probably going aftermarket for motor. Not going to pay $700 for OEM when I plan to repower, don't see that kind of investment in a 2004 motor. Get a couple of years out of aftermarket and good to go.
Sorry to hear that KY. At least you got some boating in before the tnt failure. If you were here longer, I could have had you a new aftermarket motor installed Monday. The trim unit comes out fairly easy without removing the engine so shouldn’t be a big deal getting it replaced quickly. Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation here.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry to hear that KY. At least you got some boating in before the tnt failure. If you were here longer, I could have had you a new aftermarket motor installed Monday. The trim unit comes out fairly easy without removing the engine so shouldn’t be a big deal getting it replaced quickly. Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation here.

Thank you so much for the offer!! Great to know we have guys like you on Great Grady willing to help another member out.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So...Now that your back and have processed the trip, how did the Sarasota area stack against other Fla vacation spots for you?

I realize the trim problem was a negative, but I was wondering if Sarasota would be considered for a return trip in the future?

Nice shots, as usual. They've lit up the Ringling I see...