KY School of Bilge Maintenance and Typewriter Repair

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I just graduated from the KY Grady School of Bilge Maintenance and Typewriter Repair. I replumbed my live well hoses, washdown hoses, serviced my sticky float switch and installed a new washdown pump. I also zip tied some cables and hoses ,put up new nylon clamps and such. I also washed the bilge . before and after.
Listen to this testimonial. My life was in chaos and my bilge was an embarrassing. So much so, my wife left me for a guy with a cleaner bilge. Then I took KYs class and my life turned around and the wife came back. Thank you KY for saving my boat from DBS, dirty bilge syndrome. I am a new man. Bobby W from the Whee,NC

For $69.95 you too can learn these skills. make checks payable to KY Grady School of Bilge and Typewriter Repair School. P.O.Box 228 , Science Hill , KY . Where Science is Somewhat practiced and bourbon is worshiped . IMG_20210605_113413430.jpg64070.jpeg64072.jpeg64071.jpeg

Last edited:

Chuck_NJ

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Nice work did this in the spring also! Women really Fall for a man with a clean bilge

Reactions: Fuzz

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Nice work did this in the spring also! Women really Fall for a man with a clean bilge
No, I am not certain my wife knows what a bilge is. lol.

Last year I replaced my scupper drain hoses and deck drain fittings. my wash down hoses around the pump were cracking and leaking. I think because of the hydrogen sulfide gassing out from the batteries aged those rubber hoses quicker than than hose in the bilge feeding the pump. I used flex seal tape to get me through last season. lol. My float switch would stick in particular in rough seas it would bounce up and stay up. I would have to take a gaff and knock on it to get it to drop and shut the pump off. I read on the internet machine that filling your bilge with bleach and submerging that switch gets all that crud free. I did that and jetted it off. Then I took silicone spray and lubricated it. It was sticking before I did that and now it's not.

I was just inspired by KY Grady's clean bilge so I was joking around about it all. Thanks for the compliments. What's weird is I own rental homes with most being vacation rentals . I don't particularly enjoy doing home maintenance. I do,however,enjoy tinkering and fixing the boat. Though I am a bit nervous working on the motor itself. That bad boy is intimidating. lol.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You did good Smoky!! Appreciate the kind words of inspiration about my bilge. When I brought her home in '17 from her previous home in Florida, she was crying out for some love. Checking the pumps and cleaning the bilge was first on my list, to establish a baseline for what I had just bought. ;)

Fast forward 4 years and she's received a world of love. Some was a necessity, some was cosmetic. I'm somewhat OCD/anal on how my boat looks and runs. If I find an issue, it's repaired or replaced before it gets out of hand. I want everything working as it should, every time I go out.

I'm still amazed at the new look after logo and stripe replacement. Cleaned her up nicely.

20180129_120542.jpg20210501_141435.jpg

20180414_172504.jpg20210425_130738.jpg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

Fuzz

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I just graduated from the KY Grady School of Bilge Maintenance and Typewriter Repair. I replumbed my live well hoses, washdown hoses, serviced my sticky float switch and installed a new washdown pump. I also zip tied some cables and hoses ,put up new nylon clamps and such. I also washed the bilge . before and after.
Listen to this testimonial. My life was in chaos and my bilge was an embarrassing. So much so, my wife left me for a guy with a cleaner bilge. Then I took KYs class and my life turned around and the wife came back. Thank you KY for saving my boat from DBS, dirty bilge syndrome. I am a new man. Bobby W from the Whee,NC

For $69.95 you too can learn these skills. make checks payable to KY Grady School of Bilge and Typewriter Repair School. P.O.Box 228 , Science Hill , KY . Where Science is Somewhat practiced and bourbon is worshiped . View attachment 21168View attachment 21169View attachment 21170View attachment 21171

Looks great Smoky. I aspire to get my certificate of learning from the KYGSBTRS
Your family must be so proud.

This post was timely for me, as I just tore this open yesterday. Need access for a complete rewire I’m doing. Going to apply the sentiment above to mine as well. It is pretty ugly back there.

Attachments

• A2E3C847-1B4B-4124-BDEE-B973FAD69215.jpeg
    A2E3C847-1B4B-4124-BDEE-B973FAD69215.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • BCF71926-B87F-4FA7-84E6-2661B9FEC5CF.jpeg
    BCF71926-B87F-4FA7-84E6-2661B9FEC5CF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Fuzz

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
This is what made Smoky strive to be cleaner.

View attachment 21193View attachment 21194

Hey KY, tell a bit more about that lever on your seacock. (the jokes just write themselves there huh?)
Is that OEM, or something you’ve added? Mine in the bottom of the Gulfstream is hard to reach on a good day.
Can only see partial…. but that looks like exactly what I need to solve that issue.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The yellow handle or the extension? The extension is factory. I see them show up on Ebay from time to time or you can probably order from Grady-White. The yellow handle is on the seacock itself.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sorry that I missed this fact but what was used to clean the bilge?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If yours are like mine, there is a hole under the yellow rubber cover.