Labor of Love 232

darkarcher

Reaction score
I have kept my 1991 232 going all these years. I feel like I am coming to the end of my limits. She is powered by 1993 Yamaha 150's. The starboard went down yesterday, not sure yet what it was. It is almost like death by 1,000 cuts.

I am soliciting some advice as I sit at the cross roads. Go full out restoration, or just buy a new (to me) boat. I am not sure what a total restore would even be estimated to cost but I know there will have to be extensive work on the stringers and possibly the transom. If I decide to move on to a different boat I am curious what I might could get out of this boat and trailer.

Thanks for any comments you may have.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
First, decide if you ever want to go bigger...or smaller...now is the time.

Then, if you were to go full restore on your boat, it is "free" to you. That means you start at $0.
If you buy a newer used boat, you pay for a newer used boat.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing (I just did that!) but then you have to fix the things that the previous owner didn't.

25 year old 2 stroke 150s? Salt water? not worth much. Would you buy them?

Repower NEW will cost $25K - $30K for twins

Is the hull and gelcoat in such great shape that its worth it (to you) to repower and a do lot of work yourself?
If you aren't keeping it and running it for another 10 years then don't do it.

If you have money for a brand new one...God bless you...

Fishtales

Reaction score
A nice new 232 would be sweeet. I always liked that boat especially with twin 150s. Good luck with your search.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I am working through a labor of love for my seafarer. It will be great when done. I'll have $35K or so in it (transom, all new wiring, batteries, electronics, rod holders, paint, fuel tank, new trailer, new Verado, controls, seats, etc.) plus sweat equity. But, I'll know it's solid and it won't be $110,000 for a new one. You can checkout some of my progress on my Youtube site: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLu ... RX0gH9FiMQ

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a 2004 Gulftstream powered by a single F225. There is a lot of discussion on whether that is enough power for that boat. I never had any issues with the power with a full crew of guys and fishing gear. I really liked the Gufstream but decided to go the next step to a Sailfish with twin F225s. Never regretted the decision to go with the Sailfish and repowered last year the 4.2 L F250s. The Sailfish is a great boat for a 28 footer and the Gulfstream a great boat for a 23 footer. I guess the final decision boils down to budget and size of the boat you want to be in.

darkarcher

Reaction score
I have decided to move on to a new boat.

I really hate to do it but I am going to try an pass this project to a new owner.