Ladder

Desperado

Reaction score
My 2000 Sailfish has the fold down ladder on the opposite side of the transom door (bad design?). I have seen several photos were Marlin and Sailfish owners have added the removable dive ladder to the transom by the door. I would like to do this, but cannot see how you would get to the bolts inside the hull. Any tips/tricks from owners who have done this would be appreciated. (I dive, so the ladder is used a lot!)

seasick

Reaction score
I think you would have to cut the deck and add a deck inspection plate. That's not a big deal but I have no idea what you will find under the deck that might be in the way.
Does the inside if the rear seat locker come out?
I would call Grady and ask. Thay can look at the drawings.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Desperado said:
My 2000 Sailfish has the fold down ladder on the opposite side of the transom door (bad design?). I have seen several photos were Marlin and Sailfish owners have added the removable dive ladder to the transom by the door. I would like to do this, but cannot see how you would get to the bolts inside the hull. Any tips/tricks from owners who have done this would be appreciated. (I dive, so the ladder is used a lot!)

Actualy i wish mine was like that. When trying to get a fish inside the boat gets stuck on the ludder and rips the side of the fish.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Desperado said:

Actualy i wish mine was like that. When trying to get a fish inside the boat gets stuck on the ludder and rips the side of the fish.

I think that was the reason they put the ladder on the port side away from the door. We dragged a few fish over the ladder too and it does get in the way. I was thinking of building a ramp that I could mount over the laddder so the fish doesnt get beat up and slides right in.

seasick

Reaction score
Gman25 said:
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Desperado said:

I think that was the reason they put the ladder on the port side away from the door. We dragged a few fish over the ladder too and it does get in the way. I was thinking of building a ramp that I could mount over the laddder so the fish doesnt get beat up and slides right in.

I should be so lucky as to need to drag a fish over the ladder:)

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just one that had to be dragged over the ladder.

marlin%20166%20(1024x768).jpg

287lb Thresher

nitrox32

Reaction score
I've got a '97 Voyager I bought in '03, I use the boat for diving and I bought a this ladder:

http://www.boatladder.com/component/pag ... /Itemid,6/

I had it installed by one of the local boat dealers the Voyager has an metal plate in the transom and 2 of the 4 bolts were tapped into the plate and the other 2 were lag bolted to the transom and the bracket was 5200ed to the transom, its worked great for diving, no problems at all, I also got the standard storage rack for the ladder its mounted in front of the engine. Here are pictures of my ladder set up.

bracket and ladder

2003_1221_105927AA.JPG

storage rack

2004_0116_161310AA.JPG

Desperado

Reaction score
Thanks Nitrox32. I am hoping to do something like that. I ussually end up stepping over the transom and on to the back seat as opposed to crossing over to the door. It is a P.I.T.A! Here is a pic from last weekends spearfishing trip.

DSC04357.1.JPG

TonyUSMC

Reaction score
i just reattached a dive ladder on my Dolphin. The previous owner cut a square hole in the back of the seat (in the glass) so he could access the bolts. I made new seats the put stainless hinges on the back they can be swung up incase i had to get back there again. my point is, you might have to cut something, but be creative in how you replace it to make your demema functional in the end.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd remove the lag bolts and thru bolt it instead. A lag bolt is asking for trouble.