Larger batteries

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have four batteries on my Marlin, 2 starts and two house(probably standard config). I need to freshen my batteries and would like to up the size of the house batteries to group 31 for extra ah but I'm not sure if they will fit in the standard place without modification.
So, if anyone knows for sure, it would save me a trip to the dock.
Chris

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have provided more info.
I have a 1990 Marlin.
Currently all batteries are group 24
Standard 3 battery switches, one for each 250 and one for house bank.
The batteries currently sit on the shelf that I assume was the stock location from Grady--under the back bench seat up high.
No genset, no inverter
Yamaha 250's 2 stroke SS

Also, how bout using AGM or Gel batteries for the house, I'm sure I would have to upgrade my dock battery charger to one that has a program that will accept different types but I'm more concerned about the alternators ruining the AGM's or Gels

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Battery

I changed mine out on a 268 Islander and had to replace the plastic tray under the battery. West, Boaters World, etc. has them. The shelf on mine was long enough to extend back and be even with the front.

jehines3

Reaction score
Stay with 24's for the start and go to a single 8D for the house. I'm not sure you could wedge two 31's in that space side by side. Go to trojan battery and check it out. You will get more capacity with the 8D anyway.

The closer battery is an 8D in the photo below. I think you can see enough room on the right side of the photo to possibly stack in two 31's. Parallel battery configurations are terrible though. If anything go series 6V, or go 12V 8D. jh

BatteryCompartment.jpg

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok Thanks, I'll go check it out.
Any thoughts on agm's or gel's anyone?
And another correction, she's a 2001 not a 1990. It was late!

jehines3

Reaction score
Whatever you go with, get away from a parallel 12V set. You'll need to verify if your charger can do a Gell charge profile if you go that route. jh

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While the 8D is a fantastic house battery, they are extremely heavy. I had one in a boat in the past and I doubt that I could lift one now with my bad back. They are standard lead-acid, but have a ton of reserve power. They also take a very long time to recharge, so a 'smart' charger electronic type needs to be availabe when you get to the dock.

AGM's also work exceedingly well, however I've never been a big proponent for them because of their cost. I'm just a cheapster when it comes to this stuff, and good quality lead-acids are expensive enough. Oddyssy's or Optima's are fantastic, with a nod to the former. You can pack a LOT of reserve AH with the compact oddyssy's.

A single G27 deep cycle is just fine for my little boat, but for the RV, when it's two house batteries gave up (very quickly, I might add) I went with two golf-cart batteries from Sam's/Costco. I can tell you they work absolutely fantastic. Lot's of folks go this way and it's a cheap and super duty way to get max power. They are taller than a standard battery, so you have to make sure you have room for them height wise. I'm not sure about battery boxes, I would assume they're available but have not made that conversion in a marine enviro. They are also well built to withstand the rigors of a golf cart, so they have real heavy plates, and they are deep-cyle rated so they'll stand severe cycling.

tiderunner

Reaction score
They will fit . I have 4 group 31's in my marlin . They are gels. Reason I went with gels is that I dont have to remove them for the winter. It is real tight in there. You also have to go with battery trays to secure . Sorry no picks.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Uh..can you re-size that sig-pic?? You completely blow out the frame.
3-400 pixels wide is good.
Thanks!

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OK, Thanks for all the great info.
My current thinking is to go to to group 31's lead acid for starts, and one
group 8d AGM for the house. My battery charger wil do the AGM or Gel with a slight modification explained to me by Charles Marine(maker of the charger). Simply open cover and remove a resistor.
Now I'm trying to locate a battery tray big enough for the 8. I can find plenty of boxes for them but so far no trays. Box will be OK but the cost is $135.
I was going to go with Gel 8 but all the tech support people I've talked to recommended AGM for a variety of reasons, durability and charge acceptance mostly. I thought Gels would be better because everything I've found indicates gels have 3 times the charge/discharge cycles.
Anyone want to change my mind?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good description of the types and a comparo in case there are others that are not familiar:
http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/01.Type/index.html

Another forum with good comments from knowledgable people on converting a 8D system to 6V golf carts:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14 ... -6471.html

The biggest reason I can think of is that your AGM 8D will run $600-$750 and a lead-acid 8D about $300. You can still get Trojan T105's for under $100, giving you almost the same capacity. No, they probably won't last as long as your AGM :wink:

BTW, there are a lot of battery box styles for the 8D if you do a search. I saw that go2marine had one and there were several others.

EDIT: BTW, another reason I mentioned previously is the 8D weighs about 150-170lbs, T-105's are about 65. I dunno about you, but I could never lift that 8D into my boat :oops:

EDIT-2: here's a good source for trays/boxes for all sizes including a pair of 6V GCB's:
http://www.alliedbattery.com/boxes.htm

jehines3

Reaction score
Boxes will not even fit for the 24's (with my 8D) so I'm sure a box for the 8D is a definite no go. Its not so much the port/stbd dimension as it is the fore/aft dimension that prevents boxes. With the boxes I could not get the batteries in and out, I quickly returned the boxes and went to trays. I started my battery compartment rewire late 2007 due to a bad battery switch which is when the photo is from, and it was finally finished mid season this year. Now that it is all done, I'm glad I stayed with trays. My 8D does not even have a tray but is strapped. it's 167lbs, but two 31's would be very close to that anyway, and you pick up about 100AH more with the 8D. The 31's are overkill for starts only, If you have loads off them, then it makes sense to upsize them, otherwise stick with the 24's. You can see in my photo how few loads there are off my starts (the 24 hour panels behind the batteries). I added my charger input since the photo and have totally eliminated my cathodic system that the was already installed which would ahve been off each start. Good luck with the project. jh