Launched rebuilt Seafarer

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Launched my 22' Seafarer after finishing a 2 year complete rebuild/repower. Replaced transom, floor covers, all wiring, electronics, and more. Removed and sold 200hp Johnson, and replaced with 150 hour twin Tohatsu 115s. Added radar, hydraulic steering, new cabin bulkhead, fuel lines. Pretty much stripped down to bare hull and refitted.
First sea trial went surprisingly well, with no major malfunctions. Trim tabs weren't working, and twin helm controls need a little adjusting. Overall, boat handled great with the twins, and performed better than expected. See you out there. Mike

june72010firstlaunchof22grady003.jpg

june72010firstlaunchof22grady002.jpg

striped bass

Reaction score
Mike:
Congrats! That was one heck of a project. We who are not technically gifted salute you!
What year is the GW?

Barbender

Reaction score
Nicely done, boat looks great. I redid a boat a few years back and to this day that feeling when I launched and everything was working nicely was one I wont soon forget. Congrats.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm happy to have it completed, but I'll tell you one thing. I'll never do it again!. Mike

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Vero, you did a great job, i followed your thread at boatbuilders, i have done three of them up to now and i'm on my fourth. I really enjoy rebuilding old boats.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A project like that takes dedication, determination, craftsmanship and artistry - all of which you seem to have plenty of.

Congratulations!!!!

VeroWing said:
but I'll tell you one thing. I'll never do it again!

But you did it!!! Time to put on your shades and enjoy!!! 8)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree..VeroWing rocks..What a job!

Vero..I am interested in your reasoning behind...
1.) The twins on a Seafarer, typically a single engine boat.
2.) Your choice of Tohatsu. I've heard little about them one way or the other.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Vero nice job! Can you post the link to your build thread? Thanks.

Bama, build link is below. First three pages are more relevant to build, and after that a lot of conversation with other builders on details.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19949

Magicalbill, I wanted twins because most of my boating is out in the gulfstream of the eastern Florida coast, with an occasional Bahama trip in the plans. The way I rigged them, they are completely separate from each other, including fuel lines from tank, batteries, etc. It's strictly for peace of mind.
The choice of Tohatsu outboards came about because I was looking for low hour newer twin outboards in the 115-125hp range. I stumbled upon a matched pair of Tohatsu 115s that had fewer than 200 hours on them. They were from a 2003-04 catamaran, and included all controls, and complete hydraulic steering. The price was real good, so I researched the engines and found that many commercial boaters use these engines because of their durability, endurance, and fuel sipping characteristics. The one comment I kept coming across while looking into Tohatsu outboards was, "you'll never hear anyone say anything bad about a Tohatsu". And I havn't. Even better, during my research I found out that Tohatsu makes their 115hp outboard by "detuning" their 140hp outboard. They retard timing 2 degrees, and place a throttle stop on the number 1 carb. I confirmed this with Tohatsu, and then removed throttle stop, and set timing to 140hp specs. Found out that many outboard manufacturers do the same.
Actually, Tohatsu and Mercury build their under 50 or 60hp outboards in a joint venture in a plant in Japan. They are supposed to be identical except for paint and decals. Nissan outboards are built by Tohatsu also. I'm fairly certain that Tohatsu is the second largest outboard manufacturer in the world. Yamaha is the first.

Thanks again for the comments. Mike

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Got'cha..
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Sounds logical, and here's hoping they run well!
Let us know the performance with the twins and your mileage, etc.
Have a great summer!

Barbender

Reaction score
I am bowing in your general direction (facing south east). That is a lot of work and I can see that you did not cut any corners. Impressive to say the least.

Mike L

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mike:
Beautiful job. I had followed the transom thread a while ago and cuoldn't believe the fine work. Good luck.
Mike

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are a lot of skinny water creeks here in coastal South Carolina and a lot of the small skiffs and flat bottoms around here have Tohatsu motors. They swear by them, not at them.

Outstanding job!