Launching with roller trailer and ele. winch - Need advice

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My dad and I have been trailering a 20ft Grady for years with a hand winch and bunk trailer. We were lightning fast at the ramp both in and out.
Now we have a Voyager with a roller trailer and an electric winch. Unloading has especially become more difficult. Here are the issues:
1. Ramps around here are steep so one does not dare disconnect the winch or safety chain on the ramp with a roller set-up until the boat is partially in the water. Otherwise one tap of the brakes and our baby will have some serious rash and then some!
2. The winch does not opperate in reverse. It must be pulled out manually.
3. Since the boat has a pulpet, the trailer must be backed deep into the water to prevent the pulpet from hitting the winch. This means to release the winch, someone has to walk down the trailer into some mighty cold water to disconnect.

Is there anyone out there anyone out there with a similar set-up that has a safe way to unload without too many trips in and out of the tow vehicle or requiring getting wet? Most of the time I will be driving the tow vehicle and also getting the boat off the trailer, so the easier the better.

Thanks!

ahill

Reaction score
Re: Launching with roller trailer and ele. winch - Need advi

I have had similar setups for years. Small boats, big boats.
If backing off on the winch clutch doesn't free the winch the clutch plates & bearings are shot.
Replace the plates and bearings and DON"T add grease to bearings as it will be distributed to the other parts and create failure again.
If you are putting more than the tires in the water, up to the bottom part of the wheel rim, you are in too far and causing a bad launch/retrieve angle interfering with pulpit.
Post some pics and we can advise further.