Leak in haed by starboard side window

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2002 28 Sailfish and on a recent trip to the Bahamas in sloppy 4 to 6 footers I took some waves over the bow and found saltwater had leaked into the head from around the window area. Once in port I tried sparying the window with a waterhose but I could not find the leak. Yesterday I got caught in a good downpour and again found water in the head by the sink. I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and located the source of the leak on their boat. The window seal seems fine and everythings appears to be in order but the water is getting in somewhere. The boat is kept in-out storage making this an intermittent problem but not beign able to find this leak is very frustarting. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Wow, great question. I was just looking to see if anyone had a similar issue. I am having water leak into the head on the starboard side, and leaking onto the port side of the V berth.. Water does not appear to be coming from the windows, and the port side appears to be forward of the window.

My running conditions have been in heavy 2-3 foot wind chop on top of what ever swell- generally 3-5 foot. Run out is usually 25-40 miles and have heavy spray hitting starboard side. Run in brings heavy (solid sheets of water over the entire boat) spray on port side. Enough water is coming in that it totally soaks rags placed in the teak holders on the side of the v berth. Enough water is getting in that the cushions are getting soaked and water is getting on the floor.

Not coming from deck holes for cabin rod holder. Doesn't appear to be from window on the port, but starboard window cover does get wet. Is it possible to get water through the rub rail area where the hull and top is connected?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cocoliso VI said:
I have a 2002 28 Sailfish and on a recent trip to the Bahamas in sloppy 4 to 6 footers I took some waves over the bow and found saltwater had leaked into the head from around the window area. Once in port I tried sparying the window with a waterhose but I could not find the leak. Yesterday I got caught in a good downpour and again found water in the head by the sink. I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and located the source of the leak on their boat. The window seal seems fine and everythings appears to be in order but the water is getting in somewhere. The boat is kept in-out storage making this an intermittent problem but not beign able to find this leak is very frustarting. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
I had a leak from my windows that turned out to be a loose window latch. Check the plastic piece thats attached to the window thats used to lock it in place. When you close and lock the window it also squeezes the window toward the frame and gasket and formes a water tight seal.If its loose it wont form the seal and it will leak. A phillips head screwdriver should do the trick.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Re: Leak in head by starboard side window

Hey HaleNalu I had a chance to search for the leak this weekend and it may be what was suggested about the window not shutting properly. When I was searching I noticed that the stanchions for the guard rail are visible and so is the deck to hull joint. If those are loose the leak may be coming from there I'll put a hose to it next week and see. You may want to check your boat and see if that is where your leak is coming from. I'll post whatever I find.