Leak inside Cabin

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Anyone know where to start looking for the leak. This is inside cabin starboard side on 265 Express,boat.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You probably know your boat better than me, but... anything on that starboard side that is above and forward of the leak point. Speaking of that, unless it's obvious on the outside, start by removing that panel - where the leak enters the boat may be different than where it presents. Rubrail, portlight, stanchion, etc. Systematically use a hose to help diagnose.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Lots of threads on n this. Do a search.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hardtop supports are a common spot. - these leaks are hard to find because the water could be coming in from a number of sources and running across the cabin liner to that spot

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's coming from the rub rails!!! Had the same issue, removed the rub rail tube insert, removed each screw and applied life seal in hole, then put back.

grady_22

Reaction score
Had the same leak, its coming from the forward hatch. Best plan is to remove it, dig out the old rubberized seal. Then clean the frame really well with acetone, and lay it back in the opening. Use masking tape to tape off around the perimeter of the frame. From here, use a good non-permanent adhesive sealant ((I used LifeSeal) and lay a thick double bead of sealant where the old seal used to be and place hatch into the opening and secure. The masking tape allows you to clean up very easily by pulling it up. The rest can be cleaned up with acetone.

The one thing I found with mine was that Grady left the wood grain core completely exposed on the cut through the cabin ceiling for that hatch. Might be worth to mix up some resin and fill it in.

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
All good places to try mentioned above to locate. I had a leak in the same area of my 305 Express. turned out it was my new horn installed with the gasket in wrong position.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Only a few things that can cause a leak in that location. A couple have been mentioned, rub rail, horn, hard top leg support, and hatch. Add to that list the windshield wiper/washer and bow rail.

seasick

Reaction score
Am I imagining it or this Deja vu all over again?

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
Just noticed this leak yesterday on my Marlin 300. It was sunny out, yet water was dripping.
I had run the water in the head sink, but that I am sure that is unrelated. No indications topside of a leak. This just happened out of the blue. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210313_181853.jpg
    20210313_181853.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210313_182204.jpg
    20210313_182204.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had a similar leak and found it to be due to a bad weld in the hardtop support starboard

Reactions: ECO

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had similar Issue & turned out to be leak at base of hardtop support - I used an electronic device intended for auto repair to find leaks in windshield - it is based on ultrasonic tones inside cabin & picked up with headphones outside the cabin - you just start moving the sensor around on the outside until you hear the tones

Reactions: ECO

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
Thank you. Do you recall the name of the item? I agree, it does appear that the hardtop post is is the leak entry point, or at the very least the most logical starting point. Thank you for sharing this information.