Leaking Fuel Fill Hose

Bumpye

Reaction score
I had an unusual problem this past week. After trailering the boat back from vacation, I went to fill it on land before launching. As i started pumping the gas, I noticed fuel running down the back deck floor. I stopped pumping, removed the gas hose and looked down inside the filler pipe. I SAW DAYLIGHT! This can't be good I said. Trailered it home and when I looked under the gunwale up towards the filler pipes, I could see the filler hose was completely separated from the filler neck. Because of it's position-just about an arm's length from where I had access under the gunwale-I could barely reach the hose and push it onto the neck. After about an hour fighting it I decided the only solution was to make a 6" access hole directly in front of hoses (inside the boat). I purchased a new access cover assembly from my local dealer, and made the cut. Still not a simple process as I had to buy a 1/2" drive right angle drill due to space limitations. It was then I discovered what caused the problem. I could see how far the fuel hose went up onto the filler neck and where the old clamps were. The clamps were just below the filler neck! Not actually clamped to the neck at all. The breather tube clamps located right next to the filler hose were also partly responsible for not being able to slide the hose all the way onto the neck. We re-postioned those clamps but were still not able to slide the hose on as far we wanted. The hose was too short. We ended up clamping it with just one clamp but were confident it was secure. I'm still amazed it lasted 18 years but we are certain the old clamps were not on the neck at all. Just curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

Reactions: PointedRose

Bumpye

Reaction score
Pretty scary event.
Indeed! My first thought was "Am I filling the boat through the rod holder?". Filled it up the other day after the repairs and everything is working fine now. I did park the boat on steep driveway with the stern low and ran fresh water through all the inspection covers into the bilge and pumped it over the side. I noticed an odor of gas in the cabin below. Seems ok now.

seasick

Reaction score
You may have an odor of gas for a long time. Rinsing with a soapy mixture will help

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I replaced my hoses a few years ago and had to cut out an access hole like you did.

Hose from the factory being too short seems like it shifted slowly over time, probably from pounding from seas while underway. If you get a helper, there should be a cutout under the captain's chair (I modified that from 4" to 6" as well) and push it upward to see if you can get an inch or two so you can get two clamps on the fitting.

Final note, that cutout you made can be a good speaker location ;)