Leaking into the cuddy through windshield screws

Olyfishin

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 226 is leaking into the cuddy through the screws for the windshield (as best as I can tell). The black foam/rubber strip over it doesn't seem to be stopping the water from getting underneath. I've silconed around the screws, but thought maybe I should replace the foam itself. It's old and been in the sun. What is that called? I can't for the life of me get the right Google words to find that part.

Also, anyone else have any tips to stop that leakage, other than silicone the screw heads and replace the foam?

Thanks for your input!

And just to make it a colorful thread, here's a pic of my halibut this weekend! :)IMG_7316.jpg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That foam in the windshield channel is for asthetics and not intended to be water-tight. If you are sure you have all the screws sealed, then be sure to check the horn which has screw penetrations plus a hole for the wires and check the wiper having a large hole with a compression nut that should be tight with the threads sealed as well as under the nut.

Is that the docks at Sekiu, Washington....looks familiar. That is a nice slab. I brought some home like that from Pillar point years ago. Thanks for the picture.

Reactions: GradyGary226

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know if the screws are your issue but if they are, just sealing then over with silicone won't work well. You should remove the screw, coat it with a sealant or adhesive, put some sealant into the screw hole and then reinstall the screw. That said, as mentioned there may be other penetrations that are the leak cause. For example, are there devices attached to the windshield that might have wires running through the helm and through the frame of the windshield.

Reactions: kirk a

Olyfishin

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes that is Sekiu! I see you are in Florida... the boat came from Florida early last year. I got it from Naples and wonder if the hurricane would have destroyed it had I not bought it and relocated her here to WA.

I can't really get to the nuts underneath without pulling out the ceiling carpeting (or whatever it's called). So hopefully i got it with what i did. I didn't realize the black strip is decorative. I won't focus on that then...

I put silicone around the horn already and the wet spots seem to be along the screw pattern for the windshield... so I think i have identified the problem. Just need to fix it. thanks!