Leaking window 1990 Gulfstream

exudedude

Reaction score
The windows above the cabin just below the windsheild have a small leak what is the easiest way to remove them and repair. Also the rubber spline on the exterior next to the glass seems to have shrunk over time or the prvious owner cut them short. Where can I buy new?

Thanks..

richie rich

Reaction score
if you're talking about the permanently fixed cabin windows, the rubber seal you're saying is shrunk is just a cover for the frame screws inside. Remove the rubber cover, remove the screws and with a screwdriver or utility knife, cut through the caulk and remove the frame and glass....if you have the black stuff remove as much as possible mechanically, ie a razor or knife, and then clean up with some solvent....this stuff smears like crazy and black crap will be everywhere....clean it well and lay down a new bead of marine silicone made for windows and hatches....remember, there are two parts to caulk.....window glass to frame, and window frame to boat......the inside part of the frame holds the wood trim, so it will fall off when you remove the metal frame screws....when re-attaching, someone will need to be on the inside to line up the screws with the holes....once snugged up, the excess caulk will squeeze out...let it dry and trim clean.....now you have a leak free window.....you can probably get the trim from the dealer or maybe someone like Taco or Taylor.

exudedude

Reaction score
Instead of installing the lrge vinyl back could I use a quality window sealant and tool the joint?Like old style windows?

richie rich

Reaction score
you probably can, but it will be a bitch next time around and what will it look like when you're done? Do you think you can smoothly tool that much sealant around the window? Does your trim look that bad?

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Hey 'dude!

I replaced the front windows in my 87' Saifish last winter and I too had the same issue with the shortened seals. I got them limbered back up and reused them. I masked off the empty spaces(the corners) and as you say "tooled in" high grade black silicone for a nice finish which has held up well here in the hot Florida sunshine. I used the old crazed windows as patterns for the new ones and kept the old ones in my shop just in case I ever want to make some more. As for the thru hulls it makes you wonder if they are some sort of test or challenge to do it your self guys like us! Need a buddy with five foot long and skinny arms!

exudedude

Reaction score
richie rich said:
you probably can, but it will be a bitch next time around and what will it look like when you're done? Do you think you can smoothly tool that much sealant around the window? Does your trim look that bad?

I'm a old time glazer .....use your edge tool as a gauge and blue mask the glass....the trim is pretty shot