Leaking Windshield 2006 208

PETRVS

Reaction score
I recently bought a lightly used 2006 Adventure 208 (135 hours) with a full canvas enclosure. The boat is currently on its trailer and I noticed during yesterday's rainstorm two pretty significant leaks in the windshield; one at the base in the center, and one at the base at the joint where the front of the windshield meets with the glass on the starboard side. Am wondering if the upward pressure from them straps that clip onto the windshield frame might be causing it to separate from the deck which is then letting the water in.

Am looking for some help on the best way to fix this either by sealing with some sort of caulking or replacing the window seals and mouldings and whether this is a major or minor fix. I have checked some of the forums on the web but cannot find information specific to the 208 on what might be involved with a either a seal replacement or the rubber mouldings are around the windows. Any suggestions on how to best solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
Is it leaking between the lower metal edge and the fiberglass 'deck' or is it leaking where the glass is held in the metal frame? The later is common especially on older models when the glass weatherstrip shrinks over time and the seams open up. If that is the case, using black silicone sealant is the best approach. I doubt that the Bimini straps are the cause, the windshield should be fairly tight to the 'deck'. If you are going to replace the gasket, it can be a pain to do. Note that the wires for the mast light travel through the windshield frame and you need to disassemble the top moldings to get to that cable ( at least on mine you do). I suspect that you would need to order the gasket from a Grady dealer if the gasket is the problem.
I would test with a water stream to see if the spots can be pinpointed, then look at the moldings and gaskets and decide the best approach. Caulking on the outside generally looks ugly. It may be possible to unscrew the windshield and lift it up just enough to get some sealant under it and then re bed the gasket. I would be very hesitant to remove the entire windshield unless absolutely necessary. It may also be possible to squeeze sealant into the gap from the inside depending on where the leak is. This will look better. Use masking tape around the area where you don't want sealant.
Since this problem apparently existed before your owned the boat, it is possible that is has been there from day 1 and is an assemble defect. It is also possible that the windshield was removed and replaced and the gaskets were not seated correctly or were damaged.
let us know what you find.

Average Joe

Reaction score
While you are looking in that area make sure the screws that hold the metal frame together are tight. One of the two screws in the top-center of the windshield on my boat fell out and the frame (Port) became seperated from the glass. I had a time getting it back in place w/weatherstripping and to keep it from happening again I applied 3m 4200 adhesive to the screws.

PETRVS

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for replying- I ended up talking with Grady customer service too and their suggestion was NOT to disassemble the windshield--basically once it is assembled, it is meant to stay that way and attempting to r/r would be a pain- silicone was the suggested fix. They also felt that the leak was not caused by tension on the the straps, but I will check to see that everything is tight. Have to do a little more digging on the exact source of the leak-- it looks like the base gasket, but could also be the weather stripping. I did learn that the base gasket is not a continous piece but has to be cut in for the sides of the windshield- so that could be part of the problem. More on this later.

Thanks again.

seasick

Reaction score
PETRVS said:
Thanks to both of you for replying- I ended up talking with Grady customer service too and their suggestion was NOT to disassemble the windshield--basically once it is assembled, it is meant to stay that way and attempting to r/r would be a pain- silicone was the suggested fix. They also felt that the leak was not caused by tension on the the straps, but I will check to see that everything is tight. Have to do a little more digging on the exact source of the leak-- it looks like the base gasket, but could also be the weather stripping. I did learn that the base gasket is not a continous piece but has to be cut in for the sides of the windshield- so that could be part of the problem. More on this later.

Thanks again.
Sounds like good advice. As mentioned, try sealing from the inside for cosmetic reasons.