leaky windows on sailfish

fearnofish

Reaction score
what are my options it's a 1990 sailfish and the cabin windows leak through the the gasket. they are just dry rotted and need to be replaced. some suggestion would be great

richie rich

Reaction score
Those non-opening windows are just sealed glass to frame and then frame to cabin using the nasty black sealant that smears endlessly when trying to clean up with solvent. When doing the glass to frame you can remove the rubber moulding and then slowly cut the sealant with a utility knife and scrape off as much as possible before using solvent to get totally clean...then just reseal with marine hatch and window sealant and replace.....do the same for the frame to cabin installation...just need to remove the wood trim from the inside and cut the sealant..and repeat.

busterblue

Reaction score
did iit on my 89 252

1) On a warm day or with something to warm the gasket that is in the exterior frame (gasket runs in a track in the alum frame that the window is set in) - the heat helps make the gasket more flexible- pry out the gasket using a blunt instrument . This will expose the screws that (supposedly)hold the frame tight to the hull.
2) remove the screws you just exposed - you may have to scrape silicone out of the track to expose the screw heads, I did, someone had tried to fix this previously.
3) INSIDE THE TRACK WITH AN INDELIBLE MARKER -MARK THE WINDOWS : TOP> STBD, my frames were not uniform and they are curved with a definate top and bottom
4) with a flexible knife ( I used a filet knife) cut the sealant that runs between the frame and the exterior cabing top. The window sits on a (very ) rough opening and it should now be free and you can remove it. When you do the interior trim -wood on my boat- will fall away unless it is glued to the monkey fur.
5) I had a professional glass shop install the new glass because the bulk of the cost was for the glass - I chose to use tinted safety glass, and because the frame is curved so the installation would be more diiifcult than just putting a flat window in a flat frame, and because working with that black goo is a pita. It took the shop 2 tries to get it right -maybe more but I rejected the work the first time and they redid it.

REINSTALL:
My stbd opening was too big (no wonder it leaked) so I made a wider wood frame for the interior so the srews would have something to bite into.
1) dry fit the window frames in the cabin top and have an assistant inside the cabin let you know if the windows are aligned properly in the opening. If they are aligning properly remove them and go to step 2, if not figure out why not and fix it before foing to step 2,
2) apply a VERY generous bead of clear silicone around the opening
3) set the window in place and put screws back but tightten only about 1/2 way so you do not push all the silicone out. You may need to have an asssistant inside holding the wood frame in place if you are screwing into it (because your opening is too big like mine was) or if the screws will not bite into the hull and reqire the wood frame to grip.
4) after the silicone has cured tihgten the srews thereby compressing the silicone and forming a tighter seal.
5) put a smear of silicone on each screw head to seal
6) replace black gasket AFTER silicone has dried
7) using black silicone fill any gaps between frame and the gsket you just replaced
8) using a razor trim the excess silicone from outer edge and remeber no one is ever going to look at it as closely as you are while you are doing it so don't overtrim.

GOOD LUCK< TIGHT LINES

ahill

Reaction score
The company that mf'd the gasket is no longer in business. If gasket shreds you can use black silicone and fare in a reasonable looking replacement

fearnofish

Reaction score
great thanks for the tips, i called grady and they set me up with a guy in Florida named george who is sending me replacement gaskets and step by step instructions on how to replace the gasket. very helpful thanks again guys

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When the parts come in can you post a pic of them and the install?

richie rich

Reaction score
exactly, I thought you were talking about the solid non-opening cabin windows.....but please post the rapair pics on the sliders...thats been asked about before.

JeffN

Reaction score
Fearnofish - are you redoing the front non opening windows or the side sliders? I redid both last season.

johnpframe

Reaction score
Can you provide the name and website of the guy who has the window gaskets for sliders.

kol02127

Reaction score
I am having this same exact problem. Can you post the contact info for the supplier of the replacement gasket.
Thanks

gw204

Reaction score
http://www.marineglassspecialties.com/

I got all new weather stripping for the side windows on my old 252 from George. I also bought new plastic channel to line the area where the screens slide, but ended up not using it. So if anyone wants it I'll sell it cheap since I no longer have a need for it.

The bottoms of the windows frames have grooves cut in them to allow water to drain out. When reinstalling the windows, be careful to not allow sealant to block these opening or you will still have leaks.