learning all the time

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have just come back from 2 nights cruising, over Easter with my wife around the local islands.Unfortunately the weather was poor so we didn't get to wet a line however did some beachcombinhg and got a bagful of great shells.It was very relaxing and nice to get awy from the "kids" 17 and 20.......and 2 dogs.

As we were in 15 knot winds minimum I got to play with the tabs and especially the trim on the mtrs.
We found a good comfortablecruise at 19 knots and motors fully in, accross open water and almost head on into a 1.5 mtre short sharp sea.
When we got into protected water in the bay ; we were heading straight into it doing 21 knots at about 3,800rpm. However as it was only short small chop I raised the motors 2 bars (in good weather I can cruise at 3-4 bars)my revs climbed by 200 and my speed immediately dropped back to about19.5 knots
So I dropped the Mtrs back in and the speed went back up by 1.5 knots.
My only answer is that with the wind directly on the nose raising the bow presented more hull to the wind. Trimming the mtrs in brought the bow down and we were more "aero".
When I got into the flat water in the harbour I lifted the trim to the usual 3 bars and the speed went up by 2 knots as per normal, however we had the wind on our side at this point.
I have never experienced this before and just wondered if anyone else has and if my conclusion is correct?

Bill_N

Reaction score
No, raising the engines on my boat always results in increased speed. There always seems to be some new combination of wind, seas and tide though.

Salty Reb

Reaction score
Just picked up my new Gulfstream this weekend and played around with the trim tabs in the Charleston harbor. Since this is my first boat, I am really just learning about trim. What I did discover is pretty much what you already know and that is when I raised the trim a couple of levels the bow tended to come down and the speed increased. A few times I found myself loping along and I played around with the trim to get the boat to settle back down. Not much help, but learning new things is always interesting. Now if I can only get the hang of docking without it being a controlled mild crash I will feel much better.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Salty Reb,
Where do you keep your boat? I went offshore yesterday to the flattest seas I think I've ever seen but the harbor was really choppy with a strong wind when I got back.

Keep practicing with the docking....it'll get much easier with practice. Remember what works well under different conditions and you'll be more comforatable in no time.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Salty Reb said:
Now if I can only get the hang of docking without it being a controlled mild crash I will feel much better.

Congratulations on your new Grady! I'm sure another Gulfstream owner can chime in, but given your engine(s) are bracket mounted like my Seafarer a couple of tips are in order for you:

In docking or getting the boat on a trailer, etc., basically any time you need reverse and good control at idle speed, be sure you trim the engines up (out) to the top on the trim piston. This directs reverse thrust UNDER your transom instead of against it (as it is when your engines are trimmed down). You'll find you have MUCH better control, especially when reverse is needed.

Also, rolling up the curtains in high wind will help reduce your "sail area" and aid in control.

Lots of practice will help. Don't be afraid to abort a bad docking try and start over and remember never go faster than the speed that you would want to hit the dock!

Hope this helps. Have fun and POST PICS!

Salty Reb

Reaction score
StrikeZone - I keep the boat at Rivers Edge Marina. I went offshore about 10 miles yesterday and I agree it was pretty smooth. Hope to catch some flat seas when I try my hand at offshore fishing in May.

Salty Reb

Reaction score
JiminGa - Thanks for the tip. I will certainly remember to trim out my twins next time. So far I have not hit another boat and have managed not to dent mine - so far so good but it is a little stressful in a tight marina.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Salty,
I think I may have passed you in the jetties about 2 on Saturday afternoon. There was a Gulfstream ahead of us...we waved as we went around. Nice looking boat.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Strike and Salt,

We need to get our boat over to Charleston and connect with you guys. My wife and I have been talking about some boating/fishing there. We've cruised the harbor after coming up via the ICW from Edisto a year or so ago. We had some great seafood at some place up Shem Creek. You are lucky to be able to boat in such a great area!