Leave boat in water all winter - NJ?

merlin25

Reaction score
This is my first year with a 2001 GW 226 in the Avalon NJ area and I am thinking of leaving the boat in the water all winter. I am optomisitc that I can take sporadic cruises on the "warm" days. Anyone in NJ leave their boat in the water all winter? If so, take any extra precautions?

seasick

Reaction score
You have to leave the motor(s) down if outboards. You have to drain/treat fresh water systems, raw water washdowns, sinks, showers etc. and toilets (MSDs).
The real danger is if it gets cold enough for the water (ocean or bay) to freeze. The ice can crush a hull or at least pose serious risk to it. There are underwater 'fans' that will keep the water around the hull moving, thus limiting freezing but good ones are somewhat expensive and expensive to run all the time (electric usage). Of course, you only need to run them when conditions are ripe for icing.Of course if you knew that your harbor was going to freeze, you wouldn't leave the boat in:)

striped bass

Reaction score
Merlin:
Winter weather really beats up on boats left in the water especially for a small 22 footer. I don't think you will be happy with the results.

izzy

Reaction score
We've often left the boat in the water all year in Keyport area. As you said you can pick times to get out and still enjoy but as stated you need to winterize fresh water systems and salt water wash downs.
We had access to fresh water by running long hose down to the boat for periodic washing on nice days and most importantly you hope for a mild winter.

Around here you can get lucky since our winters have been milder of late but as stated if we get a deep freeze you'll need to get the boat out before water freezes around it.

Bassman

Reaction score
check with your ins. co. as they usually specify the latest you can leave your boat in.

merlin25

Reaction score
All good points. Thanks for the input. Took a quick look at the insurance and it deosn't have anything about dates for removal. Closest item is that repairs are not covered if the boat is not properly winterized.

I had also looked into the de-icer "fans". Cost is similar to the cost of having the boat removed by a local marina. I currently don't have a trailer. I was going to get a trailer, but since I would just be towing to take it out in the winter I was looking for a cheaper alternative than a $4500 trailer.

JeffN

Reaction score
Not sure if the wear, tear, and worry involved would make for a "savings" or not, at least for me. You will have to be the judge. As an alternative to buying a trailer maybe this year you could have someone trailer your boat to your home or where ever you are going to store it and put it on stands etc. Buy the trailer next season or whenever this wonderful ecconomy turns around. I would be hard pressed to leave my boat in all year, I'm sure I would not use it enough and I only live about five miles from where I slip the boat. I don't have a trailer but hire the boatyard to haul it to the water in May and back to my backyard in late Nov. In addition I like looking out my window when it blows to see how she is riding on the stands. :)

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
merlin25 said:
This is my first year with a 2001 GW 226 in the Avalon NJ area and I am thinking of leaving the boat in the water all winter. I am optomisitc that I can take sporadic cruises on the "warm" days. Anyone in NJ leave their boat in the water all winter? If so, take any extra precautions?

My first year but This may not be the winter to leave it in, I think were due for a cold nasty one. It may ice early. Like late Dec, I am planning on getting mine out By Dec 1. But my marina uses bubblers or circulators. I am still not taking the chance this first year.

GT

Reaction score
Leaving it in the water for winter is not an easy decision. I've done it a few times (on Long Island, similar weather patterns as you).
1st requirement - Get an ice eater to make sure the water around the hull doesnt freeze. Water has to be moving to prevent it from freezing up. Put a thermostat on it and you'll save $$ so that it only turns on when freezing is imminent. They work, but you cant ignore them. One year mine stopped working, I lifted it and found a piece of wood jammed between the propeller and cage around the prop. easy to fix but what if I didnt pay attention or wasn't home? Sunken boat.
I know what its like to take a boat out on one of those perfect winter days. Calm sea, blue sky..you own the water its so lonely out there.
But think about reality - how many times are you going to do it? There are a lot of things to do to make sure all goes well - engine down all the time, drain wash downs, etc etc. For what? A few extra days on the water? Is your boat covered full time? If not the snow and ice build up can make things dangerous at best. My wife has pictures of me shovelling snow out of my cockpit. Its a novelty that wore off very fast. My 2nd home is on Fire Island so it was nice to take a boat ride on sunny days, but the amount of work needed to make sure my ride was in good shape got to be too much. I'm a worrier, but in winter now I get comfort knowing the boat is safe and dry on land compared to the distress of wondering how my boat is doing on the worst of worst days, or when I'm on vacation and no one's around to check on things..

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SFC, I agree with you - I think it's going to be a bad winter and I'm in VA on the lower Chesapeake. I kept my boat on the lift last year but I'm planning to pull it out this winter and put it under cover. I didn't use the boat as much as I'd planned last year and if this year is worse, there's no sense leaving it out there. I don't have to worry about hull damage but everything topside is at risk.

Gary 89 Overnighter

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think GT put it best...
If the winter is a nasty one, the number of doable days on the water would not be worth the risk of damage and deterioration caused by exposure to the elements.
At least that's my way of thinking.

mronzo

Reaction score
Why not keep it on a trailer in the driveway, winterize systems mentioned and splash it on nice days?! I get concerned in the winter when my boat is OUT of the water! Snow piling on it.... all alone, freezing cold in the boat yard! I wish I had room to keep it here!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Also keep in mind insurance - my policy is only good in the water May through October.