LED Bulbs for Spreader Lights

ralph85

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the bulbs in their spreader lights with LEDs? My lights put a considerable draw on the batteries, so i generally don't use them. I'd like to retrofit with LED bulbs but don't know if there is such a bulb. Any help would be appreciated.

The boat is a 2002 Voyager

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Led lights are the way to go. I want to let everyone know to make sure you change the fuse to a lesser amp as the leds draw almost nothing. I had switched my halogens to leds and after 2 years I had a light go bad-fireworks in the light-. The manufacturer had asked me if I changed the original fuse in which I did not. Could pose a fire risk if the wrong amperage fuse is not used.

fellinger

Reaction score
I don't know what bulb is in the spreader lights because I haven't needed to replace one. Check our http://www.superbrightleds.com. They may have a replacement. I used them for my cockpit lights.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The older halogen spreaders were Hella lights. These have a large sealed bulb like an older headlight but smaller as I recall.

ralph85

Reaction score
I just order an inexpensive set of new lights. Changing the bulbs got mixed reviews and until Daman's post i had no idea which bulbs would fit. Consensus seemed to be new LED lights would be more efficient than retrofitting the bulbs. I was surprised by the price range for new lights. They ranged from $15 a pair to over $300 a piece. Not sure what all you get for $300, but i started at the bottom and will work my way of the quality chain as necessary. Thanks all.