LED cabin lighting and under water stern lights

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
Anybody have any good recommendations for under the gunwale LED lighting that is reasonable but decent quality? Same for puck mounted LED under water stern lights?

Also, I am curious about the 228 with a port side companion bend seat. Does anybody here have such a beast? I asked Grady for pics of this option. I am considering changing the port seat to a bench in large part for my special needs kid. Thanks for input on these items. Calm seas and tight lines... Bob

noXcuse

Reaction score
This might sound stupid, but it'll save you a ton of money. I'm getting ready to do this on my boat. Go to Walmart. Head to the car section. There, you'll find strips of LED lighting for $12. They are flexibleand covered in some kind of fflexible polyurethane. They're made for sticking to your car and are weatherproof. I'm going to put some of them under my gunnels. I can't see salt water ever getting up under there. If it does, I'm sure the boat has already sunk. Lol. But, make sure you get the color you want. They have blue, green, red, and have them in solid colors, blinking, and trailing. They have little buttons on the package to test the lights before you buy. They seem pretty bright to me.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
NoXcuse,
That does not sound stupid at all for the gunwale lights. I will check them out. my boat spends 40% of her time near the sea and the rest in freshwater. I am wanting to put the puck style underwater lights on the boat. Just not a fan of drilling a big hole in the stern (lol). Thanks for the tips fellas.

noXcuse

Reaction score
I would love to get transom lights myself for night fishing. I'm with you 100%. I just can't bring myself to drill a couple 2" holes in my transom. Especially below the waterline.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
noXcuse said:
I would love to get transom lights myself for night fishing. I'm with you 100%. I just can't bring myself to drill a couple 2" holes in my transom. Especially below the waterline.

All you need is a 1/4" hole for the wire to go thru or you can have the wire come out from the top for no hole in the in the hull. To mount the lights, what i do after i pick the location i put a nice bead of 4200 around the back of the light and a dub of hot glue in the middle and push it in place, keep it in place with some blue tape for a day or two and you are done. No holes for mounting this way either.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Giorgos:
Thanks for the tip. I am likely going to do it your way and then run the wire above the waterline and then drill into the boat and put a clam shell to finish it off.

noXcuse

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
All you need is a 1/4" hole for the wire to go thru or you can have the wire come out from the top for no hole in the in the hull. To mount the lights, what i do after i pick the location i put a nice bead of 4200 around the back of the light and a dub of hot glue in the middle and push it in place, keep it in place with some blue tape for a day or two and you are done. No holes for mounting this way either.
Ahh. I was thinking they were made like thru-hulls. Thanks man.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I got my under water LEDs from http://www.coastalnightlights.com/
Ordered two of the double square ones in blue... look good and reasonably priced...
I used two small screws to hold each one in place and routed the power line over the transom and thru the existing clamshell for the transducer cable... I would have done the embed and tape if I were to do it again...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LeapFrog said:
I got my under water LEDs from http://www.coastalnightlights.com/
Ordered two of the double square ones in blue... look good and reasonably priced...
I used two small screws to hold each one in place and routed the power line over the transom and thru the existing clamshell for the transducer cable... I would have done the embed and tape if I were to do it again...

I also used Chris's lights on my skiff. They are very good and also hold very well, but i wanted to go with a more "professional" look.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Chris on THT seams to be the top guy on THT if you search LED lights on THT you will find.

ENichols56

Reaction score
Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you want to help with current draw or change the color of the various lights around your boat there are tons of led retrofit bulbs that will snap right into your current light fixtures. I put led's in my anchor light... makes a HUGE difference in current draw when leaving it on all night at anchor. I am planning on changing out the ones in my courtesy lights that light up the deck and in my cabin lights also.

JJ2468

Reaction score
I went with three of the new sea blaze X lights Have the blue white with strobe combination. Boat on land still but the look amazing. Did lots of research and these fit my needs best. A bronze light nit plastic. I have lights from chris and will say they are great lights just I thought this was the next step up. Also 379 each so the next price level also

Rosstafari

Reaction score
I went throughout my entire 265 express this winter and swapped all my lighting out for LED lights. I went with the sea blaze 3 underwater lights from lumitec and rigid industries makes a real nice set of flood lights. Everything has real low amp draw which is great for those long nights in the canyon.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Rosstafari said:
I went throughout my entire 265 express this winter and swapped all my lighting out for LED lights. I went with the sea blaze 3 underwater lights from lumitec and rigid industries makes a real nice set of flood lights. Everything has real low amp draw which is great for those long nights in the canyon.

I just got a 265 also and want to do the same thing. what lights did you replace and how much sis the project run you?