LED Lightbar question

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Does anyone on here run an LED lightbar on your boat? I currently have an ACR remote control spotlight on my Marlin that has stopped moving and and down, I can still go side to side though. From looking on line at the price to replace the Acr setup, I'm considering just going to a lightbar. Any input you guys have to offer?

Thank you

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Assuming your spotlight is mounted on your hardtop you’ll want to replace with another spotlight or relocate to the pulpit if going to a LED bar. This is due to the beam width/spillage of the LED bar (even if noted as a spot instead of flood pattern) as it will mess up your vision and make it more difficult to see. The pulpit will block the light spill from the bar though you’ll have to replace lights more frequently due to more exposure to saltwater.

Reactions: Jrspawn

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Does anyone on here run an LED lightbar on your boat? I currently have an ACR remote control spotlight on my Marlin that has stopped moving and and down, I can still go side to side though. From looking on line at the price to replace the Acr setup, I'm considering just going to a lightbar. Any input you guys have to offer?

Thank you
Hi,
We installed a 20" Black Oak Marine LED bar on the underside of the leading edge of the hardtop. Soon discovered that it generated an unacceptable amount of "light splash" off the fore deck and stainless rails. So....went to a local metal fab shop and had them design a custom shade. Had it powder coated using Black Oak Dupont paint codes. The shade did the trick! The shade is adjustable so that just the right amount of shade is cast on the foredeck.

Attachments

• light bar.jpg
    light bar.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Ugh, radar, no lights...I carry a hi power flashlight in the event I need to see something close but that seldom happens..not a fan of lights for navigation..

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi,
We installed a 20" Black Oak Marine LED bar on the underside of the leading edge of the hardtop. Soon discovered that it generated an unacceptable amount of "light splash" off the fore deck and stainless rails. So....went to a local metal fab shop and had them design a custom shade. Had it power coated using Black Oak Dupont paint codes. The shade did the trick! The shade is adjustable so that just the right amount of shade is cast on the foredeck.
I have the same unit mounted in the same location and have encountered the exact same problem!!! Thank you for the idea.

Reactions: Viking88rd

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the same unit mounted in the same location and have encountered the exact same problem!!! Thank you for the idea.

Even with the single row bar which is just over 2" high as I recall, I had to mount it pretty far back on my hardtop to avoid lighting up the bow rail... That's why I have it off to one side instead of centered.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Even with the single row bar which is just over 2" high as I recall, I had to mount it pretty far back on my hardtop to avoid lighting up the bow rail... That's why I have it off to one side instead of centered.
Good to know. Unfortunately for me the prior owner put it on and we never tested it during sea trials as it was always during the day. First time I clicked it on I was utterly blinded by the light from the railing. It's essentially useless at it's installed for me. I am going to fashion a shade out of cardboard to see how it will work and if it suits my application I'll get something more presentable fabricated.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have a buddy that has the black oak marine series on his boat. It lights up the night... I'm not on the water enough to justify and the lights are expensive. That being said, they are simply awesome. You get what you pay for with these types of lights and these are really nice.