LED lighting pictures I've been promising

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to use the boat at night and take some pictures. The pictures are from my camera phone so not the best quality, but they will do.

Under gunnel lighting, Imtra marine LED rope lighting in blue, 5 ft sections under each gunnel.

2 cockpit lights, Vision X XIL-40 spreader lights, 720 lumens each.

3 overhead spreader lights, Vision X XIL-80's, 1440 lumens each.

All lights were purchased through yachtlights.com.

First, just the XIL-40's on.
0505092100.jpg

0505092100a.jpg

0505092100b.jpg

0505092100c.jpg

Now, the XIL-80's on as well as the XIL-40's. I took pictures with just the XIL40's, then turned the XIL80's on to compare how much more light they add.
0505092102.jpg

0505092101e.jpg

0505092101d.jpg

0505092101c.jpg

Now just the blue LED rope lighting on.
0505092102b.jpg

0505092102a.jpg

0505092102c.jpg

0505092102d.jpg

This picture is taken from 2 slips over down the dock.
0505092103.jpg

The rope lighting was mounted level with the bottom of the gunnel, that way you get the maximum amount of light exposed to the cockpit without any upward reflection to catch in the eye, it provides plenty of light in the cockpit and is pleasing to the eye.
Overall I am very pleased with my decision to go with these lights. They cover roughly the same area as my halogens did, even though there seems to be more directed light with the LED's, the overall coverage is the same and I have the same overall ring around the boat as I did before. I am nolonger blinded by the 5 halogens and the lighting does not hurt my eyes. I also went from 24amps of lighting to 8, which is a significant drop. I will have ample lighting for the canyon's and will have no problem attracting bait, and there are no blind spots around the boat. I did debate about getting the wider beam flood XIL-81'as from VisionX, but they do not penetrate as much, but do shine a 10-15 degree wider beam, but my halogens had a centralized shine but covred the same area so I feel I have lost no light. The wide floods might have offered a more spread beam overboard, but I wanted more penetration to attract the bait and as I said there are no blind spots at all and I have roughly a 10ft ring around the boat with lighting now. I did have to come up with custom brackets which were shown in my other posts of the lights to mount them, but compared to the other products out there, almost non of them would have accomplished what I wanted. I spent a pretty penny, but I am happy with the outcome. I know a few others have added the Vision X lights to their boats as well and I have heard nothing but good things from them as well. A few guys in my marina are already switching over and put their orders in this week after seeing mine at the dock.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
the lights look great. How did you wire the undergunnel rope lights? I assume you wired it on a new switch not via the existing cockpit lighting switch/wiring? I have seen it done both ways. LED lighting is on my short list of projects.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I added a new 6 switch dc panel, one switch for my foredeck light I added, one for the 3 LED spreaders on top, one for my autopilot and one for the led rope lighting, and then 2 spares for future upgrades. I used a vhf thru hull fitting to run the wire that is sold with the led rope lighting from imtra marine, it fits perfect and looks clean in the end. I would not suggest putting it on an existing switch, you would not want them on with the white courtesy lights, they would not go well together and would counter act one another ina way and take away from each's purpose. It was a fairly easy install, took my time and it was still done in under an hour.

Wasabi2002

Reaction score
Gradyfish,

When you re-caulked your boat (earlier post), what method did you use to removing the old caulking?
I did a small section of the deck and spent a lot of time with a fillet knife removing the caulking...any suggestions are appreciated.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The deck was the most difficult, I used a firm but narrow bladed scrapper, once you get an edge up it will make it easier, but it does take a little time. Once it was up I cleaned the edges with acetone, then water to get it off, let it dry, and then caulked it. I used one of those traingle shaped rubber tools from home depot and took my time and it came out very well. The GE silicone sealant II in almond is a perfect color match, I believe the red label was the one that adheres to fiberglass, and it is a 100% silicone sealant which Grady and most other builders recommend. The hardest part was cleaning the edges after I caulked, I used 3M sharpshooter and a rag to clean the edges of the non skid where there was some excess, it came up fairly easy. I got most off with a rag while it was wet, but it was hard to be 100% clean and neat, especially around the nonskid, but after cleaning it it looks perfect, as good as fresh from the factory. Inside the boat and my for my gunnels I used the triangle caulk remover tool home depot sells with the other tool I bought, it worked decent once I gfigured out how the thing is supposed to work.

Wasabi2002

Reaction score
Great advise......doing the gunnels next and will stop by HD to get the tools your reference. What is 3M Sharpshooter? a cleaning agent? Googelin' it now...

BTW, really like the blue LED deck lighting!

Best,
JC

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes , sharpshooter is a cleaner and made by 3M, not a lot of places carry it anymore, but it is better then spray nine and cleans just about anything on the boat.