LED spreader lights recommendations

StoryTime

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I was finally able to find the link to the LED swap I used for my dome lights and has worked perfectly. Easy swap and has been reliable so far.

https://store.marinebeam.com/red-white- ... me-15-rww/

Just pick the base you need and it fits in the dome easily.

It looks like the board would be loose after you screw it in, No? How do you keep the LED board from flapping inside the dome or is it tight inside there? Thanks!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Actually, I don't recall. I think they have velcro or sticker. I also think they were tight. Believe me, mine have taken a beating for a couple years or more now and no issues so far! Seems to be a really good product.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just installed a pair of Lumitec Caprera2 purchased from West Marine on my Grady 330. They look great and very very bright and dimmible. Easy install. I’m thinking of adding 2 more next to them (1 in each side) facing the water for when we overnight.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am going to replace my Taco lights next year. The Grady Lumitec dome light with touch lens tech is awesome. My switches on the OEM dome light failed several times. The Lumitech light is sealed. It is really well built. It is a fantastic upgrade.

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
White Spreader LED of Leaningtech, I actually ordered this light on amazon when the "usual" marine products provider down the road didn't have any spreader lights in stock. It came as a package of two the same day! I got a package of two lights for less than the cost of one at a certain marine store and they seem excellent! Well constructed, etc. I installed it yesterday on my mast spreader and turned it on last night. Very bright! I obviously haven't put this light through the grinder of weather yet, but based on the amount of light it puts out and what appears to be heavy construction, I am very happy with the product.

Last edited:
O

oliver305

Lumitec LED products are great, it’s much more expensive than other options but it comes with many additional features. It has multiple color modes that allow it to shine in white, green, blue, and white/blue with both strobe and crossfade modes. The brightness level is adjustable. Expensive, but totally worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
People can spend their money however they want, but I have been using these for years, for everything from spreader lights to gigging. If you spend a few minutes on Amazon, you should find white, with Cree elements, spot, flood, or combo. I think I paid about $6 each time. The bolts are not ss, but for the money, you can buy ss hardware. 2 year warranty.
It's the same light someone has been selling for years on anoTHer boating website, for outrageous prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Lucky13

Reaction score
i replaced mine with lumitec the red and white that you can dim. They are amazing very bright and the red feature is awesome at night.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Got off my wallet and bought the Lumitech Caperera 2 with the blue option. Installed them yesterday, very easy install. They are polarity sensitive, black to black, The red on the light to the blue wire on the original wiring. Very bright, glad they are dimmable. A whole bunch smaller than my original equipment lights as well.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Rookie question......If I'm swapping my deck courtesy lights on the Stairs of my 228 do I just need new blue LED bulbs to fit in existing light or do I need a new fixture that handles LED lights? Thanks in advance!
I don't have the bulb model handy but I replaced the bulbs of the step lights and the cabin dome this summer, it cost about$10 - $15 per bulb and was really easy. Get the bulb model and find a conversion chart to find a compatible bulb.

The step lights do a good job lighting the deck but I think they need a hood because they kill my night vision.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Somewhere a while back someone posted about an LED light that they mounted under the bow pulpit to see going forward. It was a light bar, not a spreader light if I recall.
Anyone recall this? I would like to put one under the pulput so I can see when running out the inlet at night in big seas. Of course, this type of light needs to be water proof and handle some spray.

I have searched but can't seem to find it.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Somewhere a while back someone posted about an LED light that they mounted under the bow pulpit to see going forward. It was a light bar, not a spreader light if I recall.
Anyone recall this? I would like to put one under the pulput so I can see when running out the inlet at night in big seas. Of course, this type of light needs to be water proof and handle some spray.

I have searched but can't seem to find it.

I saw that post which inspired me to install this one under my pulpit https://offbrandproducts.com/products/aurora-10-inch-marine-white-led-light-bar

Very bright and no glare on the trails but I do need to take my anchor off the pulpit if I'm making a long run because i get some reflection. It's fixed at an angle pointing down at the water at idle speed and just gets horizontal so I'm seeing further out at planning speed.

Tricky install but I made it work. The standard mounting bracket is a bit too wide for my Seafarer 228 but reversing the feet made it fit but had to make a template to make sure I drilled the holes correctly, you'll see... The other issue is bringing in the electrical wire..., to drill a hole under the pulpit I had to drill from the inside out because the pulpit is in the way. It took some contortions manuverability but I was able to squeeze into my anchor locker from the cabin and luckly the exit hole landed where I intended, no easy feat but very pleased with the results.

No photos of the install but I'll get some next time I'm at the boat.

aurora-10-inch-marine-white-led-light-bar-8-560-lumens-boat-lights-218_500x.jpg

Last edited:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Bob, a pic would be worth a thousand words for sure!
That is a huge light....lol....
I measured under my pulpit and maximum underside mounting width is 12-1/2". Did the brackets fit within this dimension when reversed ?

Also, another option is to mount underneath the hardtop in the very front since my Radar dome is on the top front edge. I know I might get some glare, but when sitting at the helm, I don't see the walkaround bubble too much, just the front gunnel/pulpit area, so maybe the glare would not be too bad....

This is a nice light for sure! Thanks for the link and would love to see the mounted pics!

Oh yeah, I see that they have a 6" model of the same light as well. Maybe this would be a better option for fit?

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Bob, a pic would be worth a thousand words for sure!
That is a huge light....lol....
I measured under my pulpit and maximum underside mounting width is 12-1/2". Did the brackets fit within this dimension when reversed ?

Also, another option is to mount underneath the hardtop in the very front since my Radar dome is on the top front edge. I know I might get some glare, but when sitting at the helm, I don't see the walkaround bubble too much, just the front gunnel/pulpit area, so maybe the glare would not be too bad....

This is a nice light for sure! Thanks for the link and would love to see the mounted pics!

Oh yeah, I see that they have a 6" model of the same light as well. Maybe this would be a better option for fit?
I think the 10" will fit but I won't be back to the boat for a couple weeks, I'll take a couple pics and respond with measurements. I would avoid putting it on the roof, I initially put it up there without screwing it in and the glare was bad. I just bought it with the intent of returning it if it didn't fit under the pulpit, there was a bit of an oh crap moment until I realized I could reverse the feet. I paid close to $200 so make sure you don't miss out on that sale price... The other option you might consider is putting a spot light under there which i think would work well also.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Bob, any chance for those pics yet?

Was doing some research on the new Aurora Sport night vision camera linked up to a tablet or phone, but seems from other reviews and users the technology is not quite there yet for what I want it to do. Users having grainy views and constant unreliable connection issues.

The simple solution for now is turn on a light! :cool:

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Bob, any chance for those pics yet?

Was doing some research on the new Aurora Sport night vision camera linked up to a tablet or phone, but seems from other reviews and users the technology is not quite there yet for what I want it to do. Users having grainy views and constant unreliable connection issues.

The simple solution for now is turn on a light! :cool:
I'm out on the boat tonight so here's a pic in action. Much better if I take the anchor out of the pulpit. I'll snap some pics of the install tomorrow when I haul out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121-184110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201121-184110_Gallery.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 12

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
2nd Lumitec. I added 2 on each side and they are white or blue and can be dimmed using the switch above helm!B572CCF9-7088-4CD9-846E-368BA7D77CA9.jpeg

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm out on the boat tonight so here's a pic in action. Much better if I take the anchor out of the pulpit. I'll snap some pics of the install tomorrow when I haul out.
Here's the pic of the LED bar mounted under the pulpit of my 228. Note I had to reverse the feet so I made a template to make sure I drilled the holes correctly.

Attachments

• 20201122_213222.jpg
    20201122_213222.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201122_213318.jpg
    20201122_213318.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201122_213345.jpg
    20201122_213345.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 15