Less expensive fuel additive

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I figured that subject heading would get some attention... :)

I just wanted to pass this along -- hopefully you find it helpful. As some of you might know, I've worked in the marine industry for about 25 years - with a mix of full and part time. Now, I'm a firm believer in what Startron can do (or prevent) with the lousy gas we have nowadays. Between it not lasting as long and ethanol, as most of you know, it's a constant battle. Being in the industry, I've seen - countless times - the effects of ethanol. It's not pretty and can cost an owner mucho buckos.

I've always used Startron (before ethanol I used the red Stabil) at higher doses than required. You can't do anything wrong by using extra and it's really only pennies a gallon - cheap insurance in my book. However, I'm also not opposed to saving money where I can, and that's where I'm finally going with all this. A little while ago, I was having a conversation with my rep from Star Brite - the makers of, among other things, Startron. They have two formulations - a gas formulation to be used at 16:1 ratio and a diesel formulation at 32:1 (although if you buy it from some hardware stores and maybe places like Walmart, it's only 8:1 at only a very small cost savings per bottle compared to the 16:1 at most marine stores)). Here's the kicker... the gas formula and the diesel formula are the same thing! It's just that the diesel formulation is more concentrated since most diesel engines will have larger fuel tanks. You can use the diesel formula with gasoline.

If you're picking up what I'm putting down, you've already figured out that the diesel formula (per ounce) goes twice as far. So, then you're thinking, "Yeah, but it probably costs twice as much, so it's a wash". Nope. At least as far as the pricing I have on our shelves at the marina, the diesel formula is only about 25% more. I'll let you do the exact math, but it's pretty plain to see that the diesel formula is less expensive, per ounce. You can probably deduce what formula I have on the boat... :mrgreen:

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for this Dennis. Seeing you have one of those noisy, smoky, but paid for Yam 2-strokes; when fueling I'm sure you pull out all the measuring devices and bottles to add all the stuff we need to put in our tanks. I really complicate things because I rigged my engines for premix. I even have to pull out a calculator to do all the math. How many gallons does the diesel formula treat and what is your procedure when fueling up?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tucker, the ratio of fuel:Startron doesn't change - how much additive you use all depends on the amount of gallons you put it. The bottles come in different sizes.

My engine uses the auto-mix setup, so the only things I'm adding during a fillup are the Startron and RingFree. Both of those don't need to be measured quite as accurately as 2-cycle. I guesstimate how much fuel I'll be adding and then add a little extra for good measure. I try to be a little more accurate with the RingFree - but that's only because it's so much more expensive. But both the RingFree and Startron have graduated bottles, so it's not too hard.

mboyatt

Reaction score
What about using Seafoam to treat the fuel? I have always used that to treat the fuel for my 200 hp Ocean Pro and have never had problems. Boat sits all winter as well. I try to get it on sale, but it's not cheap. Just wondering the difference between Seafoam and Startron.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can't speak to how effective Seafoam is over the long run. I have heard that some people swear by it - but when I looked into it, I found out what you did - when you break it down to the 'cost/gallon', it was quite expensive (even compared to the Startron gas formula). I also think, although I could be wrong, that SeaFoam's chemical makeup has been the same for decades... meaning it "just so happens" to work with ethanol fuels. Whether that means it's perfectly fine or that it's "borderline effective", I do not know. Given that Startron was specifically made/designed to fight ethanol, though, that's one of the reasons I've been using it. Along with the cost part, of course. Most important to me, though, is that it works. Second most important is cost. But if I can get BOTH things... :mrgreen:

mboyatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Dennis. SeaFoam has been around forever. I also use it to decarb the old 2 stroke. I usually buy it up when they have sales at the auto stores. I have seen where you can buy one, get the second at half price. Usually buy a bunch when I can get that kind of deal. I will do some reading on your stuff to see what I can come up with. I guarantee the mark up on these products is insane. Thanks again!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Dennis,
By chance have you ever asked the rep if Startron can replace ring free? Startron claims to prevent carbon build up too. IMO Yamaha seems to have a habit of gouging their customers for some products and using marketing scare tactics to convince customers the additional cost is necessary to protect their investment. I can't help but think the magical lizard spit marketed as ring - free falls into this category.

Thx