Lets build a boat tool box!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Flexible pickup tool with claws (not magnetic). Large dental inspection mirror.
Set of Craftsman screwdrivers - straight and Philips tiny to large.
Set of pliers - needle nose, channel lock, diagonal cutter, slip joint.
Wire stripper.
Quality crimp tool.
Hammer!
Copper antisieze, Super Lube gel, Boshield liquid, dry silicone spray, WD-40, spray white lube. Tube of black silicone.
Fresh rolls electrical tape. Assorted tywraps.

Small to medium ratchet set US/Metric 1/4" and 3/8". If room get one with 1/2" - not necessary to keep on boat but handy for projects.
Soldering kit and crimps, shrink wrap tubing - not necessary to keep on boat but handy for projects.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A few wooden dowels and some Stay Afloat should a thru hull or hull breach occur. Good flat and phillips screwdriver. Quart of oil and hydraulic fluid.
I keep a lot of tools in my trunk that would rust on a boat too.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
A few wooden dowels and some Stay Afloat should a thru hull or hull breach occur. Good flat and phillips screwdriver. Quart of oil and hydraulic fluid.
I keep a lot of tools in my trunk that would rust on a boat too.
Brings up a good question, how do you keep your tools from rusting? I plan to use an airtight container, that should work.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Brings up a good question, how do you keep your tools from rusting? I plan to use an airtight container, that should work.
My answer to this question has been the same for as long as I can remember, go to your local tennis courts/club, and get some empty tennis ball cans, with lids. A set of combo wrenches in one, screwdrivers, test light in one, pliers in one, etc. Flares fit in the 4 ball cans. Put a little piece of cloth, with rust inhibitor, in each one, and put them in a box with a lid. Keeps things organized, and easy to see what's what.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
My answer to this question has been the same for as long as I can remember, go to your local tennis courts/club, and get some empty tennis ball cans, with lids. A set of combo wrenches in one, screwdrivers, test light in one, pliers in one, etc. Flares fit in the 4 ball cans. Put a little piece of cloth, with rust inhibitor, in each one, and put them in a box with a lid. Keeps things organized, and easy to see what's what.
That is a great tip!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
WD-40. Drain the water out of my tool box, spray everything down and wipe off. Haven’t found toolbox’s the fit hundred my seating that stay dry. May be hose related!

tempImagewMXOya.png

Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ratchet set has a screw and wing nut to keep closed and it sits where my 2-cycle oil tank was.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I tried to have a small compact "essential" toolbox..but I'm always doing something. So now I've got a full toolbox. Parks in the head. Its heavy.:rolleyes:

Metric and standard sockets,deep & shallow 1/4, 3/8 drive, wrenches, pliers, cutters, crimpers,many screwdrivers Make sure you have #3 phillips, Ball Allens.
I have the Suzuki tool kit that came with the motor.
Toilet ring wax. Nerf plugs. Hose clamps.
Electrical tape in Black and some colors. Zip ties. A Plano box of assorted electrical terminals, fuses
A Plano box of assorted SS screws & nuts&washers. extra asst canvas snaps.
Multimeter.
18V screwgun & charger in the dockbox
drillbits
resealable small tube of silicone. Threadlock.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I honestly had a small toolbox on my old boat but it was frustrating because everything would rust after little to no time at all. Now, I have next to nothing on my boat, but I'm close enough to where I can row back into my cabin if I did need anything. And as was mentioned above, I've got Sea Tow on my insurance in the event that I break down.