Lewmar Delta Anchor - HOLDS TOO WELL!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ROBERTH said:
Just don't think it will fit into the forward cabin hatch! I was able to get the 12" ball made by Taylor Made Tuff End into the forward storage hatch, even on top of the extra beach anchor rode. It was tight, but not sure if I remove the rode, can still get a 15" ball in there.

I have either the A2 or A3 (I'll have to look) and when I want to stow it out of the way into my aft fishbox, I deflate it a little. I keep a hand pump on board to re-inflate it. It only takes a few minutes. Not too much of a PIA.

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We do a lot of anchoring here on the WESTCOAST up to 400 feet down using the ring and Scotchman ball system, and I would absolutely recommend shackling THE CHAIN to the head hole on the anchor and using heavy tie wraps threw the stem hole (I use 2) works perfect for the hang ups.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi folks, I was able to do the float test today. The 12" ball does float the anchor and chain, but you can tell it is a weak float at best. So ojt goes the 15" ball and it wins hands down!
I returned the 12".

I was able to actually get the 15" into the forward cabin storage hatch without difficulty. While the 15" initially seemed huge, it is not as bad as I thought.

Thanks for all the feedback as it was a great help in figuring this out! :D

Attachments

• Anchor Ball in Hatch.jpg
    Anchor Ball in Hatch.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 70

Finest Kind

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Hi folks, I was able to do the float test today. The 12" ball does float the anchor and chain, but you can tell it is a weak float at best. So ojt goes the 15" ball and it wins hands down!
I returned the 12".

I was able to actually get the 15" into the forward cabin storage hatch without difficulty. While the 15" initially seemed huge, it is not as bad as I thought.

Great, glad to help.
Just curious...why does the ball need to be stored below decks? Why not leave it tied to the rail where it will be at hand to use when needed?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Len, thanks for the idea on tying the ball on the rail! It is a good idea for days when I will be bottom fishing. Up here in NC, the run offshore is 40-60 miles and usually always rough. I would rather not have it flopping around, so better to keep everything tied down when making the long runs. Usually a couple of hours or more depending upon the seas.

I didn't get the time to play around with how to tie it to the rail as we were in a tight area testing with boats running all around us. The seas were 3-6' on Saturday, so couldn't do the test outside. Even inside was a challenge with the wind, etc.

I also think maybe I can wedge the ball in the walkway but have a rope on it to secure to a rail as well. Just need some time to play around with it. Most of the time, it will be stored though, that is why I wanted to find a spot to keep it totally out of the way.

I wish I was back down in Boca so the run offshore was about 1 or 2 miles.... :mrgreen: Really miss those good times! Imagine the fuel savings and gained time fishing in comparison!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Halfhitch, I tried to post a pic of the first African Pompano I have ever caught when we did our first anchor bottom fishing and same day anchor was stuck! However, I am getting errors again trying to post pics to this site. I will check with Jeff if he can fix me up again.

It was a nice one. Never caught one when I was living in Florida for over 7 years, so it was quite a surprise to me to get one up here!

Attachments

• 20180703 African Pompano.jpg
    20180703 African Pompano.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 69

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, that was strange, when backing out of the error, it posted above. Anyhow, it is posted!

It was me! Chalk it up to user error! Posted the Anchor Ball in hatch pic also further up in the string.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow!... What a fine catch. Those pompano really put up a tussle. Beautiful fish and the next fun part is flippin" yer lip over a chunk of that nice white meat. I gotta say that I claim a little mojo for blessing your catch in that earlier post. :D

That ball fits nicely in that deck compartment. What is that rolled up piece of canvas for? Is it a sail in case you have to go into "diaper drive"?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the MOJO Halfhitch! Even though I was giving it a go at trying to learn to catch grouper, it was a reward for sure!

Keep sending me more MOJO!

Yeah, so that diaper :oops: is for when my fish box is too full or the fish it too big to fit in the fish box! :mrgreen:

Had to use it last fall when I got a 60# citation Wahoo and limited out for the day. The diaper came in very handy!

Attachments

• Wahoo Citation 60lb.jpg
    Wahoo Citation 60lb.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 65

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Holy cow! That is SOME Wahoo! I have never got anywhere near that. Bringing that guy in the boat must have put everybody on their toes. I have the highest regard for their chomping ability. :)

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Finest Kind said:
ROBERTH said:
I returned the 12".

Great, glad to help.
Just curious...why does the ball need to be stored below decks? Why not leave it tied to the rail where it will be at hand to use when needed?

FYI
Here is a pic of my boat with the ball tied up on the stbd front rail.
Not in the walkway, and not blocking my view from the helm, but right THERE where it needs to be when it's time to deploy it...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24298