lewmar hatch on 2000 228

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Has anyone replaced the hatch on their 228 models? The hatch I have is a lewmar model its all scratched. Does anyone know what replacement model I can get?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are you talking about the hatch on the bow in the cabin roof?

Mine is all crazed and looks cracked also. Mine is a Bomar brand one on my '04 228. I have a model number and it was found on the back of the hatch between the hinges, your number mignt be there also. If memory serves, I'm thinking a replacement for mine was between $600-$700. Haven't changed mine yet.

20180927_193421.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The most commonly used size for a deck hatch is 20x20. In the end, it's just a 20x20 hole - fill it up with any brand you want. Replacement is dirt simple. Depending on how bad it is, you could try buffing it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Your welcome. I should add that I don't know FOR SURE that your hole size is 20x20 - just that it's the most common. But, either way, it's easy enough to measure then find one that fits. Most likely, it's still going to be a commonly available size.

I have "heard" that some people have removed the plexi by gently heating the adhesive caulk that holds it in and then replacing the plexi. Note that I'm just regurgitating some info there - I have no actual experience doing this. But, it might be worthwhile to check into that.